This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

So I finally did it! I’ve been wanting to try SoulCycle for years now, but I was always too scared and could never find anyone to go with me. So a few weeks ago, I decided it was time I tried it because I had a class canceled, so why not? I went by myself and, honestly, it was so rewarding. I was so nervous, but the staff was welcoming and so excited for me. I bought my class online and booked my bike in the back corner. When I got there, they gave me shoes for free for my first time and explained to me what to expect. I went in and asked for help setting up my bike, which they were so helpful with!

It was finally time to start. I had no idea what to expect because I’ve never done a spin class before. The lights turned off and music started blasting. I started a cycling workout on my Apple watch and I was sweating within minutes. You do most of your cycling while standing. There are dance moves that you do on the bike, which comes with practice, but despite having no rhythm, it was super fun! The music selections were energetic and lively. You spin on the beat, leading with your right foot. You can just follow people around you and the instructor on the podium. The instructors yell at you to push your hardest which works if you put your mind to it. I burned over 300 calories! You really get out of the class what you put into it. In addition to cycling, there is also an arms portion with small weights. I used 2 pound weights for my first time and my arms were burning! At the end of the class, you stretch it out while the instructor gives motivational and inspiring messages. It makes you really think about what you are grateful for and to be proud of yourself for working out.

When the class ended, I couldn’t figure out how to get my foot off the bike because they are clipped in. If that happens to you, simply undo your shoes and leave them there. It is super common, so don’t be embarrassed.

Also, expect to be very sweaty! Make sure you stay hydrated during the class and after, as you may be very sore after. Eat something light before the class because you don’t want to be full while cycling and you can get a salad from Sweetgreen after. I’ve already gone back for another class and I plan to continue going. It really does make a positive impact on your life!

1 / 2 / 3

Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!