The school year is always a stressful time and everyone is constantly busy and overwhelmed. As a result, college students often stay up late and then have to wake up early for class or work. There are many side effects of not getting enough sleep that are more than just feeling tired the next day. Being sleep-deprived can have serious negative effects on your health and wellbeing. I was feeling a little under the weather, so I decided it would be in my best interest to really prioritize my sleep for the week. I went to bed before 11 pm every single night and did not wake up in the morning until I absolutely had to. Here's what I found:
- I got over my cold in half the time I usually do.
- My performance in the gym improved because I felt like I had more energy.
- I felt more focused on my school work and was able to complete assignments more efficiently than I usually do.
- I felt a lot more social and spent more time with my friends than usual.
- My room stayed clean all week because I had the energy to pick up after myself.
- I was able to think more creatively and made more valuable contributions to my projects/assignments.
- I didn't get into a single argument or conflict the entire week because I felt that I could think clearly and be the bigger person whenever anything came up.
- I felt way HAPPIER and a lot less anxious than usual.