Almonds
Almonds
Torey Walsh / Spoon
Wellness

Go-To Meals and Snacks (Healthy and Filling!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

From the end of 2020 into the beginning of 2021, I have made it one of my goals to eat foods that make me feel good both inside and out and to make healthier decisions for myself and no one else. These have been my go-to meals lately, and they are all able to be prepared in a short amount of time! 

Breakfast:

My FAVORITE breakfast for a few months has been oatmeal. It is an extremely filling meal that has so many opportunities for customization. I have been using any brand of quick oats mixed with cinnamon and water before microwaving. To top it, I add a splash of almond milk, a serving of peanut butter and a banana. 

Lunch:

I usually workout mid-morning and eat lunch whenever I get home from the gym. One of my favorite lunches is my homemade green smoothie. I use one banana, a large handful of spinach, a cup of frozen strawberries, a cup of almond milk and a protein powder (I use PBFit or Vega). To top it off, I add my favorite granola, and it fills me up for a long period of time. It is also a favorite of mine because it is a great way to “sneak” greens into your diet without the taste of them. 

Dinner:

This is a meal that varies day to day, and I end up eating most recipes my mom can cook. I always want to incorporate protein, usually chicken, ground turkey, or chicken sausage. Brown rice pasta is something new I’ve tried, and it is a great gluten-free pasta option. Vegetables are always on my mind for dinner, and we try to incorporate them wherever we can in our meals or on the side. 

Snacks:

One of my favorite things to snack on is fruit, and I eat a variety throughout the day including apples, golden kiwis, and an assortment of berries. I have also found that gluten and dairy-free eating has helped me feel better, so I try to keep my other snacks free of gluten and dairy. I enjoy the ‘Raises the Bar’ granola bars and ABC bars from Trader Joe’s as an afternoon snack or dessert. The Vegan Rob’s cheese and cauliflower puffs are new finds, but they satisfy any savory cravings I have. 

Drinks:

The main thing I drink throughout the day is water, making sure I keep myself hydrated as it is an extremely important part of health. I am a coffee lover and for the past few months have been keeping coffee at home, using Stok Cold Brew (unsweetened) and an addition of Planet Oat Milk (original or vanilla). 

Food is fuel, and everyone is unique in what works for them. These are a few of the options I have been eating lately, and they have been keeping me full throughout the day, but everyone has different needs and the most important thing is to listen to your body!

Sarah Donlan

Bentley '21

I am currently a senior at Bentley University, majoring in Accounting and minoring in CIS. My favorite articles to write are about makeup as well as productivity tips. 
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!