Wellness

10 Must Haves to Promote a Healthy Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

1. Water Bottle

I don’t need to tell you that you need to drink water to stay healthy and hydrated. I’m sure you already know. Some benefits of drinking water regularly throughout your day include glow-y, clear, hydrated skin, faster digestion, decreased fatigue, increased energy and a mental boost, flushing out of toxins, and a better immune system.

My favorite water bottle: Hydro Flask 32 oz Wide Mouth

2. Activity Tracker

A device that tracks your steps or the amount of physical activity you do through the day can motivate you to move more. Most of us have phones that track all of this, but I’ve found it’s more helpful when you have a separate device. The device is especially useful if you’re someone who goes to the gym or works out a lot because it can help you set goals and achieve them.

My favorite activity tracker: Apple Watch

3. Planner

Everyone knows a planner is very useful. It helps you plan out your day, week, and month. Planners help you organize your life, set goals, and make sure you have time to get everything done you need to. By planning out your day, you can stress less. You can also organize your time so that you will be able to fit in healthy habits like going out for a run or getting to the gym.

My favorite planner: Day Designer Daily & Monthly Planner

4. Essential Oils (Diffuser)

After a long day at work or school, everyone needs to unwind. It’s essential for your mental health to take a few minutes for yourself and relax. The best way to do this is to sit or lie down in your bed and turn on your essential oil diffusor. The scent of the essential oils will calm you and make sure you are refreshed. It is also a nice thing to look forward to a nice moment of relaxation at night.

My favorite diffusor: Aromatherapy Essential Oils Diffuser

My favorite essential oils: Lagunamoon Essential Oils

5. Tea Bags

Tea is great for any time of day. It’s definitely a healthier alternative to coffee, which I hate to admit since I love coffee so much. If you’re looking for a boost of energy, green tea is the way to go. Need to unwind? Any kind of fruity tea is perfect for that. I personally like to drink tea half an hour before I go to bed.

My favorite tea: Uncle Lee’s Tea Organic Green Tea

6. Meditation Apps

It’s really nice to be able to wind down after a long day of working your brain. Meditating takes care of your brain health just like exercise takes care of your body. Apps to assist you in meditating are an easy-to-use tool for meditators of all levels. There are also many different types of meditations you can do to help you sleep, focus, reduce stress, and much more.

My favorite meditation app: Deep Meditate

7. Your favorite form of Exercise

There’s no need for me to emphasize how important exercise is for both your mental and physical health. I’m sure you all know. However, what you probably don’t know is that exercising doesn’t have to be going on runs or lifting weights at the gym. Exercise comes in many forms, and you just have to find one that works for you. A few examples include swimming, dancing, and kickboxing.

My favorite form of exercise: Outdoor runs (while enjoying the scenery)

8. Sleep

I don’t know any specifics, and I don’t feel like doing specific research right now because I’m sitting in the airport surrounded by noisy children, but I’ve heard that sleep is sort of important for your health. Some people need less and some, like me, need 12 hours a day. However, the recommended amount for adults is 7-9 hours per night. I learned in a nutrition class my senior year of high school that there is a hormone activated after a certain amount of sleep each night that burns the excess fat in your body along with all the trash that’s in it. So, I totally recommend that if you’re trying to lose weight or be healthier that you focus on your sleep schedule just as much as your nutrition and exercise.

9. Breakfast

Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day. Personally, I unintentionally skip breakfast every morning, unless you consider a handful of fruit around noon to be breakfast. I don’t know why, but I don’t really want to eat as soon as I wake up. I should really start to because nutritionists say that breakfast should be your largest meal of the day. Since you have all day to digest what you eat for breakfast, you should eat something full of protein and fiber and all those healthy vitamins.

My favorite breakfast: Huge bowl of fruits (plum, mulberry, watermelon, melon)

10. Adventures

No one wants to live a boring life. If your life’s too boring, you are probably going to get depressed, which is not at all good for your mental health. Mental health is just as important if not more important that physical health. Your brain controls everything you do whether you’re conscious of it or not, so please take care of it. Going on spontaneous adventures occasionally or slightly out of your comfort zone to try something new and exciting will be beneficial and will refresh your brain in ways coffee cannot. Take care of your brain, close this blog tab, turn off your phone/computer, and go have some fun!

Hi everyone! Thank you for reading my article :) A little about me: I'm a junior majoring in accounting at Bentley University with a minor in law and psychology. My interests are all over the place, which is why I chose to study topics that include math, literature, and science. I love learning new things and sharing them with people, and this platform allows me to do so. I write articles that I believe will be helpful to others. I hope you enjoy my articles!
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!