Wellness > Health

5 Tips to Stay Motivated on Your Fitness Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Since the new year started, we’ve all been looking for ways to keep our minds and bodies healthy. Although it can seem scary or overwhelming, it may not be as difficult as you think. Let’s touch on some of the ways that you can jumpstart your fitness journey and feel good inside and out. 

Don’t be too hard on yourself.

Everyone is different and requires different diets and fitness routines to stay healthy. Keep this in mind next time you’re scrolling through Instagram, pining over why you don’t look the way they do. If two people ate and worked out the exact same, their results would still differ. Being unique, being you is awesome, and you should embrace it and your own way of doing things.

Set goals for yourself

Depending on your fitness level and nutrition, set goals that you can strive for. Make a game out of it. Turn it into something you want and look forward to. If you just started, maybe workout 4 days a week for a month. If you want a bit of a challenge, aim to do 30 pushups in a row. My goal right now is to successfully do a pullup, and it’s much harder than it looks. No one’s journey is the same, transform it in a way that motivates you.

Do workouts you LIKE

I think social media has coerced us into believing that there is only one right way into getting the body you want: running, walking, and ab workouts on youtube. While these are great forms of exercise, not everyone will enjoy them. Think outside of the box. Would you rather lift weights? Maybe master the art of jump roping? Try out some new things, you might love it more than you think. 

You know what everyone says…drink water!

People underestimate how cutting out soda and other sugary drinks can improve not only your body, but your skin and the way your mind works. According to a study done by the CDC, not even 50% of the population drink enough water daily. Low water intake is associated with bad attitudes and behavior. I’ve always been bad about drinking enough, so I’ve recently been filling up a 16 ounce glass as soon as I wake up, and finish it before I eat or drink anything else. 

Reward yourself for working so hard

Remember those goals I asked you to set? Reward yourself when you meet them! Try to correlate the reward with how big of a goal was set. If it was a smaller goal, maybe treat yourself to dinner with your friends. If you hit a bigger milestone, buy a new workout set or something else you’ve had your eye on. Working out is so much more fun when you look cute, duh. 

Everyone does it their own way. First, you just have to figure out what works for you. Whether your beginning looks like drinking more water or making it to the gym a certain number of times a week, just focus on taking that first step and sticking to it. The hardest part is starting, but after you’ve done that, you’re halfway there. Believe in yourself! In the words of Megan the Stallion, let’s have a hot girl summer.

Julie Baird

Baylor '21

Senior Communications Major at Baylor University