This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Life wouldn’t be what it is without stress, complications, and ups-and-downs. 

It’s too easy for someone to fall into a constant spiral of being upset and depressed, and the thought of letting go is too much to bear. Letting go of that one thought, that one person, that one habit. Even if holding on tightly causes pain, the idea of letting go seems worse. As someone who experiences the same problem, I thought I would construct a small, friendly guide to help someone else let go.

1. It’s okay to cry!: When it comes to letting go, crying almost goes hand in hand with that idea. Never think for a second that crying is shameful, or something to bottle inside. Crying is the first step to healing. Once the tears are gone, then you can focus on what’s ahead.
  2. Focus: It’s common to hear “focus on yourself” when receiving advice, and though cliche, this statement can be super useful! Crank out a couple assignments, maybe do a quick stretching routine, or hit the gym. Take baby steps towards accomplishing something.
  3. Understand that it takes time: The pain you may feel in the moment is only temporary. Healing comes with time!
  4. Breathe: Take a moment during your busy (or not busy) day to breathe. It is important to slow down for a second and be aware of what’s going on around you, while also relaxing. 
  5. Out of sight, out of mind: When it comes to letting go of something, whether it be a person or an idea, cutting all ties and getting rid of any reminders is the best way to go. I know this might be the most painful step in the process, but it is so important when it comes to moving on. 

Letting go may look different for everyone, but if there’s someone out there who may feel lost, or is in need of a little guidance, hopefully this short article can be of use! 

Bryn Hansmeier

Augustana '25

I am a junior at Augustana College! I am a double major in management and marketing, as well as a double minor in communication studies and philosophy. I am on the pre-law track. I am a co-correspondent in HerCampus!