Strong Arms Girl
Strong Arms Girl
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

Start That Hustle For That Muscle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Ever been in a rut? It’s a period of time–long or short–during which you feel as if you can’t do much or don’t want to do anything. You start to doubt yourself a bit, and although you don’t think much of it at first before you know it 2 weeks have passed and you realize you haven’t accomplished anything. 

girl stressed at computer
energepic.com

Well, let me tell you, I know that rut all too well. For the past few weeks, since school has moved completely online, I let myself get into a really bad pattern. Here’s how it went: Wake up, join zoom, eat, end class, take a nap, eat more, join zoom again, and then watch tv and go to bed. (Plus maybe a few emotional cries in between all of that.) I finally got to a point where, a week ago, I decided to move home to California and get my schedule back on track. Even though I won’t be in SoCal for more than two weeks, the time I spend here to figure out a new routine will be worth it in the long run. 

So that is exactly what I did. To start, I picked one big goal to focus on: fitness. Last year I would go to the gym 6 times a week, and this year, for the first semester at least, I would workout. During the second semester, my schedule became much busier and I would only have time to go to the gym every once in a while. But when the COVID-19 pandemic erupted and all gyms closed, any exercise routine I once kept to was halted.

Growing up I always struggled with weight and staying healthy. But when I started an actual routine upon coming to college, I felt a lot better both mentally and physically. I want to get to that point again. I am not doing this to become “skinny,” I am doing it because I want more energy. 

blue notebook saying my secret plan to rule the world on cover with pink background
Pexels / Ann H
Once I got home, I spent the entire night making myself a workout schedule. I found some fitness trainers who post their home workout routines online and created a routine of my own, combining all of their techniques. I then organized all of my workouts in the Instagram Collections tabs, where I had saved specific workouts for specific days.

Find what works best for you. For myself, I set 3 days a week for cardio-based workouts and the other days for arms/back/shoulders, legs, and abs. I also add booty exercises and stretches to each day since that is my focus area. I also made sure to make my busiest day of the week a rest day where I  stretch and relax my muscles. 

yoga
zen yoga bear

Note: Practicing yoga and meditation is a great way to ease the mind and strengthen your muscles all at the same time. 

Keep in mind, if you haven’t worked out in a month or so, don’t go full out on the workout routine you used to do when you were working out 5+ days a week. That is how you can really ruin your body. Start easy for the first week or two and only try to do 1-2 reps at first. Pace yourself; if you feel like you can do more then continue, but if you feel like you’re getting sick and might pass out, then please take a break. Nobody is going to judge you. 

For the first week, I did not pressure myself to get each day’s exercise done. I realized that after one day of working out, I felt amazing. Yes, I was sore, but I felt great. During my first week, I missed two days, and let me tell you. I felt horrible. For some strange reason, I missed the after-workout-achievement-feeling of being tired for a good reason. The absence of that feeling is what keeps me going. 

Kayla Bacon-Group Yoga Outdoors
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

Deciding to make restarting my workout routine my new long term goal was a great choice, but in reality, each day that I am able to work out and feel healthier is an achievement in itself. 

If you aren’t familiar with working out, start small with a 15-minute workout online. Various gyms, trainers, and fitness groups have started posting free workouts online since COVID-19 began to spread, so take advantage of this! During a time like this–one of chaos and social distancing–the focus should be on yourself. Not just mentally, but physically as well. 

Hello! Melanie is from Southern California, more especially Indio & yes, that is where Coachella Fest is located. She is majoring in Journalism with a focus in Public Relations as well as perusing a minor in Women and Gender Studies and another minor in Art History. She enjoys going to the gym, listening to podcasts and watching youtube. Some of her favorite things in life are interior designing/decorating, coffee, plants and astrology. LOL what a Leo :)
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.