Ways to Stay Healthy in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

When older siblings or friends go away to school, they always seem to only mention the fun activities in college. No one ever talks about getting sick and having to take care of yourself.

It is bad enough that Tucson has inconsistent weather that loves to mess with our allergies. It is also very easy to get sick in college because there is someone always someone sneezing or coughing in our classes and living in close quarters with roommates is an easy way for germs to spread.

But not to fret, there are many ways to keep healthy during this crazy time and weather and these tips are even useful for those winter days during the second semester.

1.Wash Your Hands

And do not just run your hands under warm water, but really scrub your hands down with soap so that you are getting those nasty germs off. This is especially important when it is flu season and everyone is getting sick. Even if you are on the go, make sure to carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you. Also, if you or your roommates are sick, make sure to wipe everything down with disinfectant wipes so that the germs do not spread.

2.Drink Water and Stay Hydrated

In order to stay healthy, you have to drink water and stay hydrated. This is definitely easier said than done and sometimes it is just necessary to swap your Starbucks drink out for a bottle of water. The body needs water in order fight off a sickness and when you do not drink enough water, you are setting yourself up to get sick. A person should be drinking six to eight-glasses of water a day.

3.A Balanced Diet

You must also eat right. Being a college student, it seems so much easier to just grab food when you are out but eating the wrong food can weaken you immune system as well. According to Harvard Health Publications, it is best to eat a diet that is high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, but also low in saturated fat.

4.Exercise, Exercise, Exercise

As a college student, it is so easy for many of us to say that we never have time to exercise, but in reality, we can always make time. The easiest way to stay in a routine of exercising is to switch things up. Don’t just run the treadmill or lift weights everyday, but try something new like yoga or Pilates to help with your core.

5.Sleep and Relax

Can college students actually relax and get enough sleep? This may seem impossible with a rigorous course load but take it easy. A lack of sleep can cause stress and this could lead to getting sick. Make sure to plan out your day and plan to have your homework done by a certain time so that you can catch up on your favorite episodes on Netflix or listening to music.