bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Mindset of Weight Loss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Losing weight can be an on-going struggle not only physically, but mentally. Our society has evolved to be centered around a healthy lifestyle, which can be hard to follow. It is one thing to go through a process to physically lose weight, but you have to factor in the mental ability it takes as well. When you feel low on confidence about your weight loss plan, try to avoid the myths or ruts that you can fall in that prevents your weight loss. Here are some specific mindsets to try to avoid when following a weight loss plan:

“I’ve been working out for a week, why haven’t I seen results?”

Most workout plans and diets do not show improvement within a week’s time. Although you may start to feel healthier and more energized after you start following a healthier diet, you will not immediately see results. Most workout plans are designed to be 6-8 weeks long that require commitment.

“I’ll just skip dinner.” (Or any other meal.)

Although skipping a meal may seem like the right thing to do in the moment, it is one of the worst things you can do when trying to lose weight. Skipping meals effects many parts of your body including your blood sugar, your digestive system. Skipping meals also does not fill your body with the adequate nutrition it needs. Skipping meals creates more problems to your body than benefits, just try not to do it.

“I will eat this diet bar instead of dinner.”

They make diet bars so appealing these days, with peanut butter and chocolate, who wouldn’t want one? However, many people do not realize that diet bars and diet drinks are filled with harmful chemicals that your body does not need. Eating veggies, whole grains, and proteins will make you feel satisfied without having to replace a meal.

“I am only going to eat 500 calories today.

Yes, although eating fewer calories a day will drop a few pounds; it will mess up your metabolism as well. Dramatically dropping calories in your diet will cause your metabolism to not work as hard, which will backfire when you eat a bigger meal. Eat regularly throughout the day maintaining a healthy calorie count.

“I am going to try the latest over-the counter weight-loss pill.”

Weight loss pills seem like the “quick fix” to losing weight, however, they are very harmful on your body. Many weightless supplements claim to be made of all natural products, false. Reade the ingredients in on the bottle and if you cannot pronounce the ingredients it is more than likely they are not natural and harmful to your body. If you want to use a weight loss supplement on top of dieting and exercise, refer to your physician first.

“This Cookout-tray is going to make me gain back all the weight I loss.”

False. Although eating a Cookout tray is not the healthiest item to add to your diet, one tray will not make your gain back all the weight that you loss. It is okay to have a cheat meal in your diet every once in a while, however, do not make a habit of it. Instead of having one huge cheat meal in your diet such as a fast food meal, include small portions of unhealthier options to satisfy your craving. For example, instead of eating an entire candy bar, eat a bite size portion to fulfill your craving.

“I am going to go to the gym for four hours tomorrow since I skipped today.”

Extreme exercising increases your risk for injuries, causes dehydration, and causes an electrolyte imbalance. Extreme exercising can be just as harmful as not exercising at all. When you extreme exercise, it tends to feel more as a punishment, which you will want to stop. On days that you want to skip the gym, try to push through and make it to the gym but complete a lighter workout.

Remember, when losing weight, it is just as mental as it is physical. You have to have the mental mindset to reach your goals. A healthy and satisfying life is a lifestyle, not a temporary thing. Maintain a healthy diet and make a commitment to exercising and your weight will take care of itself. 

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.