This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

In an attempt to discourage travel, American University administration has canceled spring break and replaced it with “Wellness Week,” a week in which professors are strongly encouraged not to assign homework. This has left students to take their mental health and wellness largely into their own hands.

In that spirit of self-care, here are 12 activities you can do this Wellness Week to make time for yourself.

Journal

I know journaling is on about every self-care list ever made, but there’s a reason for that! Journaling is a quick and easy way to check-in with yourself and unclog your brain. Getting all of those little thoughts and worries out can help free your mind and make life feel a bit more manageable. Journaling can also be done wherever, whenever and however. You could lounge outside in the spring weather and use journaling as a meditative exercise. Or, you could jot down some thoughts while watching YouTube.

Write a Letter

While we’re on the topic of writing, sending a letter is a great way to both take time for yourself and do something for someone else. You could take a few minutes to yourself to sit down, think about what you want to say and really personalize it. You could draw something, press a flower into it, include a little gift or photo, etc. And, it’s a sweet surprise for a loved one. Sending a letter is a little something that goes a long way.

Do a Spring Clean/Reorganize

While cleaning may sound like more of a chore than anything else, it can be extremely meditative and refreshing. You could play a show, movie, podcast or listen to music while you do it. You can also do as much or little as you want, from a deep clean of your entire living space to quickly reorganizing your desk. A cleaning session is a gift to yourself and can, again, make life feel a bit more manageable. I also suggest adding some fragrance and letting in some fresh air afterward. After I clean, I spray some lavender water around. 

Catch-Up with Loved Ones

When I get busy I feel like I have no time to properly talk with friends and family. So, Wellness Week is a great time to catch-up and see how everyone is doing. Setup a Zoom or phone dated or do a socially distanced meet-up. A quick catch-up can help you feel loved, supported and can give you a burst of energy you didn’t know you needed. A proper catch-up may also reduce guilt if later in the semester you feel like you don’t have time to check-in. 

Watch a Movie

Put away your phone and watch that movie that has been on your list forever, that movie you keep passing on Netflix and thinking “another time,” or that movie you’ve seen 100 times that never gets old. Movies are something a lot of people love and few people feel like they have time for. Use Wellness Week to make that time. After a day of classes grab some food, cozy up and enjoy a movie night you deserve!

Get Outside 

Being cooped up in the same place for school, work, family time, alone time, etc., is mentally exhausting. Use Wellness Week to get outside, away from screens, and maybe whoever you’re quarantining with. Go on a walk, run, hike or lounge in the grass, anything! Especially if you’re in the D.C. area, the weather is supposed to be very warm this week, so get out and enjoy the sun! 

Make Art

Making art can give you a moment to slow down, relax and express some creativity. Art is another activity that can be done anywhere, anytime and any way. You could sit outside and draw or you could have a Zoom craft night with friends. Art is also a great way to express and channel emotions. And, you are left with a final product to display, gift or just keep for the memory. Just have some fun and create some stuff! 

Some Art Ideas: 

Draw, paint, make a collage or dream board, knit, crochet, make pottery, make candles, do makeup, do nail art, make a craft, make beaded jewelry, make friendship bracelets, color, bring it back and bedazzle something.

Treat Yourself…a Few Times

If you’re able to, treat yourself! Buy something you’ve been wanting for a long time. Order food from your favorite place. Instead of drinking coffee from your Keurig, order from a local coffee shop. Go get some ice cream. Make an impulse purchase. Whatever it is, get it! And, if you get something once, don’t let that make you feel like you can’t treat yourself again later in the week.

Cook/Bake 

Not only will cooking/baking give you some time to yourself, it is the gift that keeps on giving. You could make a treat for yourself on Monday and enjoy it all week! If you’re a pro, cook something challenging. If you’re new to cooking, try something simple or something you’ve wanted to make for a while. 

Instead of eating cereal every morning, channel early quarantine vibes and make some banana bread.

Take a Bath

End the day on a positive note with a nice long bath (if you have a bathtub of course). Add some bubbles, light some candles, play something and relax. Baths are a great way to heal your mind and body at the same time and allow you a chunk of alone time.

Stretch

Take a few minutes to breathe, move around and stretch. Sitting around all day takes more of a toll on our bodies than we realize and stretching can help release the tension we don’t know we’re holding. Stretching can also be meditative and offers a great time to check in with yourself and your body. You could stretch on your own or follow a tutorial – I suggest Yoga With Adriene.

Give Yourself Permission

Give yourself permission to do what you want to do or to not do what you don’t want to do. 

We are constantly controlling ourselves, saying “I can’t” or “I have to.”

While self-control and discipline are important and ultimately keep us safe, sometimes we have to be lenient with ourselves. This wellness week is your time to be easy on yourself and to be indulgent. If you want to order out again but feel like you shouldn’t, go for it. If you feel like you should get a head start on an essay but also need to decompress, put it off!

This week is all about you. Do what you need and want. Give yourself the time and attention you deserve.

August is a senior at American University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Cinema Studies. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, reading, and creative writing. August's preferred pronouns are she/her/hers.