This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It is easy to become burdened by responsibilities in college: rent, part-time jobs, budgeting all take their tole. And sometimes we lose sight of the child within us. Luckily for the students of The Blount Scholars Program at The University of Alabama, they are fighting against the tidal wave of adulthood with Studio Ghibli Nights.

Miyazaki, Hayao, director. Howl’s Moving Castle. Optimum Releasing, 2006.

For those who have not seen a Studio Ghibli film, they are the masterfully, crafted animated films of Hayao Miyazaki. The films, original in Japanese, have a wonderful message about human’s relationship with the environment, saving oneself, and the power of friendship. (There is also a lot of subliminal messaging about the devastation and senselessness of wars with splashes of war profiteering for good measure ).  But the shining gem in all Ghibli movies are the amazing female protagonist; while Disney may bost about its princesses, they do not come close to the girls and women of Miyazaki’s films.

“Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Blu-ray)”. Optimum Releasing. Archived from the original on 13 December 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2011.

So far Blount has watch Nassica and the Valley of the Wind and Howl’s Moving Castle. Both films highlight the power of women in the face of seemly insurmountable odds. Nassica, the princess of the Valley of the Wind, must stand between warring counties (one lead by a female general) and the miss understood toxic forset to protect her people. Sophie, the main protagonist in Howl’s Moving Castle, must discover the strength and confidence within her to overcome a curse and save her family. What I love about both of these movies is that the females are often the ones saving the men or themselves; it is a trope I feel is not portrayed enough in big-budget children movies.

Many overlook children’s films as mindless entertainment filled with fart jokes and quick cash grabs (I am looking at you Emoji Movie).  Hayao Miyazaki proves that children films should be focused on helping lay the foundation for how children see themselves and the world around them. These films are both timeless and ageless; so if you find yourself craving a taste of childhood and a good cry download a Studi Ghibli films and be transported to magical worlds where the women save the day.

I am currently enrolled and The Univerity of Alabama. A travel enthusiast who plans to see the whole world from the window of my tiny house. I believe that exploring the world and learning about other cultures is the cure of prejudice. There are something many places and people to meet, and i just want to share my experiences.