This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It’s a Sunday night, and you’re sitting in your room, staring at your to-do list for the week. It’s long. You know that you have to finish everything on the list, but you have no motivation even to open your laptop. You feel stuck in this limbo, doing your work the night before it’s due and barely scraping a passing grade. What you’re experiencing is totally normal (especially for a busy college student), and it’s called burnout.

Burnout can leave you feeling alone, stressed, and overwhelmed, but still having no motivation to dig yourself out of the hole you’re in. Let’s put this into perspective. According to a 2019 study done by the National College Health Assessment, over 80% of college students reported feeling overwhelmed by all of the things they have to do, and almost 40% felt so depressed that it was difficult to function. It’s important to remember that you are not alone in feeling burnt out. Talk to almost anyone on a college campus, and they can confidently say that they’ve felt burnout before. And if you’re having trouble getting yourself motivated, there are a few things that might be helpful:

Improving Your Sleep Schedule

I’m sure you’ve heard this about a million times, but getting enough sleep is important for your physical and mental health. Burnout sometimes means that you aren’t giving your body the rest it needs, so make sure to get enough sleep every night so you don’t feel tired during the day.

Eat Well and Exercise

It’s essential to give your body good fuel to keep yourself awake and ready to face the day. Whether this is a healthy breakfast, morning yoga, or just making sure to get in three meals a day, do whatever works best with your schedule to take care of your body so that your mind can do its best work.

Have a Creative Outlet

Part of the effects of burnout is feeling unmotivated and unable to think accurately and creatively. By engaging in an activity that allows the creative side of your mind to flourish, you’re working those metaphorical muscles and making them strong again. For me, art gives my mind a break from school-related stress and helps me get back into the groove when I’m feeling unmotivated.

Hang Out With Friends

Loved ones are one of the strongest motivators when it comes to being successful. By seeing your friends regularly, you’re reminded of how loved and lucky you are. This pushes your mind out of a slump and back into a motivated state. Doing homework with friends can also encourage you to get your work done, and you can spend some quality time with your besties.

So, if you’re feeling burnt out, remember that you aren’t alone. There are lots of ways you can get yourself motivated again, and your friends will always be there to lift you up. Give yourself a break and take a deep breath. You can light your fire back up again.    

Megan Johnson

Alabama '24

Megan is a writer for the Alabama chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior at the University of Alabama and currently double majoring in English and Creative Advertising. In her free time, she enjoys reading, art, shopping, and being with friends. She has a passion for social justice and loves to give advice, watch movies that make her cry, and FaceTime her sister just to see her cats.
Alabama Contributor