This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

To me,

One year ago, the world changed. Where did you go? What happened to you? I wish you would come back. In the past year you have grown and changed in so many different ways, but there are parts of me I wish I could have back. 

Since the pandemic first started, you have gotten a lot more anxious and nervous in any situation. I fear going into my sorority house and sitting at a table, thinking that no one will come up to me to say hi or eat with me. Before, I would always sit at one table in the corner of the kitchen not caring if I was the only one there or nine other friends were sitting with me. I get overwhelmed with phone calls, zooms, FaceTimes and even text messages. Sure, phone calls can be a bit intimidating since you aren’t seeing the person’s face, but I thought that there was no reason to get anxious over a text or facetime. 

Now, you care so much about what other people think of you. Freshman year, you didn’t have a care in the world about what others thought of you. You would own your outfit, say things that some people wouldn’t agree with, and do what made you happy. Currently, you still try to make yourself happy, but it isn’t exactly the same way as before. You found Orangetheory Fitness which has made you happier than you’ve been before. You love going out to get dinner with friends and just have a good time, but you also enjoy watching Youtube or Netflix alone in your apartment. You get scared about what you say in front of others and that they will hate you or not want to hangout anymore. You feel as if everyone on campus is judging your outfit and saying how bad it looks. In reality, people are judging you no matter what you do, say or dress like, but it should not control you.

The pandemic made you a lot more introverted. You were always willing to go to date parties or swaps, but now it takes a whole lot of convincing to even go to one social event. Sure part of that is because of the fact that we are in a pandemic, but you need to try to have a normal college life. You went through a phase last semester where it didn’t bother you if you didn’t see or talk to anyone for a whole weekend as long as you went to workout. Currently you are trying to get back to your extroverted introvert self, but it is taking time. Even though you may think you are alone or the only person with these challenges, please know that it isn’t true. The pandemic changed everyone whether or not they talk about it. As we are trying to get back to normal life, remember that each person has their own struggles and can overcome them. 

From,

Me

Amanda Zimmerman is a senior studying Accounting at The University of Alabama. A few things she enjoys immensely are Disney, dance, traveling, Dancing With the Stars and Orangetheory Fitness!
Alabama Contributor