5 Tips to Help You Ace Your Midterm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the middle of the semester, which means… midterms. I’m sure that not everyone is looking forward to these but here are some tips to make the most out of your midterm. Some of these may seem obvious, but in times of stress, we sometimes forget to do the basics.

Know when your midterms are

Obviously this is going to be super important. You need to know when your midterms are so that you can be prepared. To make sure you’re prepared you should check your syllabus. The only thing worse than walking into a class and not knowing there is a quiz/test is walking into class and not knowing there is a midterm.

Make a schedule

Even though midterms are going on in some of your classes, this doesn’t mean all of your classes are going to have midterms. Find that balance between keeping up with your regular homework and studying for exams. When you make your schedule, don’t forget to factor in time for breaks and self care. Studying for midterms can be overwhelming, so try and include some relaxation time.

Find your ideal studying environment

Now this varies from person to person. Some people like the privacy and comfort of their room, while others head straight for the library because of its studious environment. Do what works for you! If you plan on studying in your room, I wouldn’t recommend doing so in your bed because this could ultimately lead to you falling asleep.

Study in groups

Take advantage of any review sessions held by your class tutor. They’re there to help you and often do collaborative work. If for some reason you can’t make it to one of these sessions, form your own study group with students in the class. Sometimes you can get the most out of your studying by collaborating with other students. Everyone has different learning styles and understands topics differently. If you’re struggling on a specific topic, try having another student explain it to you

Get enough sleep

Even though this one is a little tough for people, don’t stay up all night cramming. When you cram, your brain doesn’t get a chance to sort information and determine what’s important. Instead, it stay a bunch of random facts floating around in your head. Try and get a full night’s sleep; it will help you in the long run. According to a study done by NYU, sleeping helps develop and solidify connections made throughout the day, which will be extremely beneficial when you take your exam. If you need to look back over your notes, just briefly skim them to refresh your memory.

The great news about these tips is not only can they be applied to your midterms, but they can also be applied to your regular studying schedules!

Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.