This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

It’s that time of the year again! Leaves are changing, sweater weather is in full swing, everything is pumpkin spice flavored, and… everyone is getting sick.

Ah, the joys of living on a college campus during cold and flu season.

But not you, Collegiette! 

And without further adieu: How to Not Get Sick!

Keep the windows open whenever possible!

Contrary to what your mother told you, you don’t get sick by being outside in the cold.  You can, however, get sick more easily being inside all day with germs floating around the stuffy dorm air.

Wash your sheets

Trust me, you don’t want to know what’s lurking in those sheets you haven’t washed since syllabus week (and if you do, google it like I did).  Ideally, sheets should be washed weekly.  But if that’s too ambitious for you, every few weeks won’t kill you.

Sanitize. Everything.

This one seems obvious enough; Lysol kills 99.9% of blah blah blah… but I mean everything! Door handles, light switches, anything that gets touched often.  One thing we always forget is our phone. Phones get super yucky! Wipe it down every once in a while with a lysol wipe and your immune system will thank you.

Sleep!

It’s hard, especially with midterms, but getting enough sleep can seriously decrease your chances of getting sick. So think twice about that next all-night cram sesh, collegiettes.

Take your vitamins!

If you’re not taking a daily multivitamin, you need to be. Again, Mom was right. When wasn’t she? 

Wash your hands. Right now. Just do it.

So simple, but it makes such a difference.  Washing your hands often prevents the common cold (and much scarier things) from being spread.  If you’re afraid your hands will get dried out if you wash them too much, get a nice hand lotion!  As if we needed another excuse to go to Bath and Body Works, am I right ladies?

May the odds be ever in your favor, Collegiette.

XOXO, Jennifer

I'm a sophomore at Adelphi University! Actor and Collegiette