My Favourite Vegan Recipe – Chickpea and Edamame Salad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Easy, quick recipe

So, on top of being a vegetarian – almost vegan – I’m a super fussy eater. This means that I have spent a lot of time researching food and adapting recipes to suit my taste. I almost overlooked the GREATEST recipe because the title of the meal included an Avocado dressing, which I’m just not into. Luckily, I wasn’t deterred completely. Though you can find the original here, I present to you the holy grail of finds: my version of the Chickpea and Edamame Salad.

Credit: Blogspot.com

Ingredients

Chickpeas (1 small tin)

Edamame Beans (2/3 cup)

Apple (or Blueberries)

Cashews (or other nut of choice)

Oil (1 teaspoon)

Spices of your choice (Recommended: Cayenne Pepper, Cumin, Chilli, Black Pepper, Salt)

Credit: Don’t Go Bacon My Heart

Method

1. Heat the oil in a pan.
  2. Add the chickpeas once heated, followed by spices.
  3. Let cook for approx. 3 minutes. Pro tip: While waiting, dice the apples and separate the cashews in half.
  4. After the three minutes are up, add the edamame beans.
  5. Once both the chickpeas and edamames are browned, add the diced apple.
  6. Followed by the cashews about 1 minute later.

And you’re ready to serve!!

Pairing

While the salad is great to have on its own, I love to have it on top of garlic bread, toast or sliced vegetables. I sometimes use either mango chutney or chilli sauce to help it stick to the bread – but that’s totally optional.

Cost

https://i2-prod.plymouthherald.co.uk/incoming/article640894.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/pound-coins.jpg

Average cost per serving: £2.45

Pro tip: I like to make a large batch and freeze the leftovers to enjoy later! To thaw, just put as much as you’d like on a tray and place it in the oven on low heat (to avoid burning).  Once thawed, enjoy!!

Happy cooking!!

Fourth year Psychology student who reads way more than writes. Current Aberdeen PR sec.
Emily Sullivan

Aberdeen '20

Vice President at HCAU xo Anthropology student at Aberdeen University.