hawaii acai bowl smoothie food yummy fruit colorful
Her Campus Media

How to Make the Perfect Smoothie Bowl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Personally, I think that smoothie bowls are the greatest invention since sliced bread. They’re super tasty, fun to make, and don’t even get me started on the aesthetic. Ever since lockdown began, I vowed to spend more time in the mornings prepping a nutritious breakfast because I no longer had the excuse of not having enough time and needing to leave the house right this second or I’m going to be late. It’s great to see how everybody has different tastes and preferences. I’m always looking for inspo on Instagram or Pinterest to see what kind of toppings and flavour combinations people are trying. It’s just a fun way to be creative and making healthier choices which I’m all for.

Here are my tips on how to make the perfect smoothie bowl:

Consistency is key

Don’t underestimate the importance of the base. My blender is usually screaming at me because the trick is to mix fruit with as little liquid as you can get away with (usually around 1 cup) to ensure that the smoothie is thick enough to hold your toppings in the bowl. So, if you could drink it with a straw, it’s not thick enough.

Get that perfect flavour combo

The best thing about smoothie bowls is customizing them to your personal taste. It’s a great way to be adventurous with mixing fruits and trying different flavours. Either go hard or go home making it as bright and colourful as possible.

Here are some ideas:

• Pineapple & coconut milk
  • Banana, beetroot & blueberry
  • Mango, melon & pineapple
  • Various berries & chocolate
  • Banana & all the greens (I promise you can’t even taste the spinach)

You’ll want to add some ice too, especially if you’re using fresh fruit. You could also add some protein powder or cacao powder to thicken it!

There’s no such thing as too many toppings

The toppings you could add to your smoothie bowl are endless. Fruit, nuts, chocolate, seeds, peanut/nut butter, and granola tend to be the most common but nothing is off limits. Decorating the bowl is definitely my favourite part. It’s got to look good for the gram, right? And yes, this is exactly how I procrastinate before my online seminars.

What I’m really saying is that if you’ve never attempted to make a smoothie bowl then trust me when I tell you that it is a game changer. So much so that I’m dedicating an entire article to express my appreciation for them when I should be doing an assignment. Plus, they just make you feel like you have your life together.

Just a little bit, anyway.

I'm a 22 year old student from North Wales studying MA English Literature at the University of Aberdeen. You'll find me writing about anything and everything from the horrors of imposter syndrome to Phoebe Waller-Bridge's latest revelation.
Ellen Vinke

Aberdeen '21

22 years old, studying postgrad Creative Writing at the University of Aberdeen! Lover of all things feline or nerdy x