This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

A social media storm was created when Topshop mannequins were criticised for being too thin. The girl in the picture below is a size 8/10 and Topshop responded saying that the mannequin was based on the average size 10 woman. Becky Hopper shared the picture of her friend Georgia Bibby and since the tweet has had over 10,000 retweets. Georgia’s thighs measure at 22 inches where the mannequins’ thighs were a mere 16 inches which gives a complete false representation of the average figure.

A realistic image needs to be given otherwise young girls, or indeed, any woman, could be influenced to become hooked on crazy diets/starving themselves. In this day and age, when Instagram is full of models who are bikini body ready all year round, perhaps change needs to be sparked. What ever happened to chub up for Crimbo?

While it isn’t about being stick thin, the use of size 16 mannequins in Debenhams could also give off the wrong image. In Britain, 57% of woman are ‘overweight’ and while not everyone who is larger is unhealthy, it could promote again, a wrong image to those who can be easily influenced. We should not praise those who are obese and severely unhealthy.Millie Mackintosh, formed MIC cast member, has been criticised  in the past for her ‘thigh gap’ and being generally, ‘too skinny.’ She is now determined to promote ‘Strong, not Skinny’ to encourage people to use the gym to become fitter rather than slimming down to nothing.

This is what is needed in today’s society, people being healthy and strong not chubby, overweight, anorexic or stick thin. However, everyone’s bodies are built in a different way and we cannot criticise if they are healthy.

Victoria’s Secret models are always highlighted for being too thin and promoting the wrong body type. Just last week, Sara Sampaio, who is walking in this year’s Fashion show was criticised for being too skinny and hit back saying ‘Be happy with your body and stop shaming others! I probably eat more burgers than you.’ Last year after the Annual Fashion the split screen picture shown went viral; criticising Victoria’s Secret models and the changes in models that had been made over the past decade. It seems people are being shamed either way, whether too skinny or too big. Tyra Banks, pictured on the left side, a Victoria’s Secret Angel for 8 years, instagrammed the picture saying: ‘My take on it: Thick, thin, short, tall, muscular.. it’s all beautiful. Let’s celebrate the many different types of shapes we women have.’

This is the way it should be taken, while the different body types vary, nobody should be shamed for being too thin or big. The media should not celebrate people having an unhealthy look but equally not shame girls for having a thin figure. Nobody can be criticised, no matter what they look like or the body that they have if they are healthy: that is what we, as woman, are asking for.