Wellness > Mental Health

10 Tips for Looking After Your Mental Health at University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Studying at university can be both exciting and daunting in equal measure. Whether you’re just moving away from your family home for the first time, or a mature student seeking a new direction, the student experience is a rollercoaster of emotions and challenges all in the name of personal development, and it is easy to become overwhelmed. Time to Change estimates that around 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem this year, highlighting the importance of being aware and taking care of our mental wellbeing as well as our physical. As a long-time sufferer anxiety disorder myself, I have compiled a list of my top ten tips for looking after your mental health from my first two years studying at the University of Aberdeen, which I hope you will find helpful during your time here.

01. KNOW WHO TO TALK TO:

Just knowing whom to talk to if you hit a bump in the road can make the journey feel far less daunting. Luckily our University offers an abundance of student support services:

The Student Advice and Support Team offers impartial advice on a range of issues, including but not limited to academic issues, immigration, disabilities, mental health, finances, and childcare. You can find them on the top floor of the Students’ Union Building between 09:00-16:30 Monday to Friday, or get more information on their website at https://www.abdn.ac.uk/infohub/support/advice-and-support-office.php#panel2183.

Personal tutors are assigned to all undergraduate students. They will meet with you periodically and encourage you to reflect on your student experience and plans for the future. They are a useful point of contact for academic issues and can direct you to the appropriate support service if you’re not quite sure where to turn.

Out of office hours Nightline is an overnight support service brought to you by AUSA between the hours of 20:00 and 08:00. Whether you’re looking for local information while you’re settling in or wanting to discuss a personal problem, Nightline is a confidential listening service manned by fellow students who have likely shared many of your concerns and experiences. You can telephone them on 01224 272 829.

02. REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT ALONE:

It can be easy to feel alone when you have just moved somewhere new, especially if you don’t know anybody else already at your University and talking about your feelings can be difficult with strangers. But, if you are feeling homesick or anxious or unsure, you can pretty much guarantee that you’ll meet somebody else feeling the same way. While everybody will have their own individual experience, we are all experiencing university together, don’t be afraid to talk to your friends/flat-mates – they are new to this too.

03. KNOW YOUR STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES:

While the university experience is designed to challenge your perspective and growth cannot always occur safely inside your comfort zone, that does not mean you need to throw yourself in the deep end. Allow yourself some time to settle into your new surroundings and role as a student. Play to your strengths and be mindful of your struggles when it comes to course selection; if you struggle with speaking in large groups for example, try to avoid courses that are heavy on debate and presentations at least for your first semester while you get used to voicing and challenging your opinions – tutorials will aid you in this anyway so you can definitely afford to work up to it. Remember- if you do select a course that you don’t feel happy with you can still change it within the first two weeks of the semester so don’t ever feel stuck (we’ve all been there, I know that I have…a few times)!

04. SET YOURSELF DAILY, SMALL, ACHIEVABLE GOALS:

Speaking to the graduating class of 2014 at the University of Texas, retired US Navy SEAL Admiral William H. McRaven listed 10 important life lessons from his Navy training (well worth a listen and easily found on YouTube if you have 15 minutes to spare and want some motivation). The very first lesson has always stuck with me; If you want to change the world, start by making your bed every morning. McRaven explains the importance of setting yourself small achievable tasks every day and starting with the perhaps mundane task of making your bed. One small task completed gives you a small sense of pride and encouragement to complete another and another until eventually what started as a made-bed becomes a successful day of completed tasks. And if you’re day doesn’t quite go to plan, McRaven simply says at least you have a made bed to get in to at the end, and a made bed gives you encouragement that tomorrow will be better. Incidentally, this method has gotten me through many essays over the last two years: if you’re struggling don’t think of your essay as 1000/2000 words just start with the introduction and the rest will follow.

05. DON’T LET THINGS PILE UP:

If, however, you do find yourself falling behind (and believe me it does happen!), don’t let yourself get snowed under, it can be difficult to admit that you’re struggling but the university has systems in place to help you get back on top. If you find yourself ‘at risk’ (C6) be sure to respond as quickly as you can, even if it’s by email to your tutor, these might seem like scary emails to receive but they are there to help you and encourage you to seek support from teaching staff to get back on track. By the same token do not be afraid to ask for an extension if you need a little extra time to get coursework done, swallowing your pride for a couple of minutes to ask can save you some unnecessarily lost grade points. Remember, your lecturers were students once too and, speaking from experience, you’ll find they’re generally quite understanding with these things

06. PRACTICE SELF-CARE:

Remember to look after yourself, keeping active, eating a healthy diet and getting enough sleep to promote both physical and mental health. You may need a part-time job, and societies and friends are important too to maintain balance but don’t take on so much that you don’t have time for yourself. For lots of self-care and self-love tips check out Angela Dobson on ‘8 Self Care Ideas to Beat the Winter Blues’.

07. TAKE SOME DOWN-TIME:

You may have a lot of assignments and be feeling the pressure to do ‘well’ but don’t let your life become all about the work and stress, you need some down time too. Join a society and make new friends, find a new hobby or practice an old one, the AUSA has over 140 societies so there really is something for everybody.

08. IT’S OKAY TO BE SELFISH:

Whether it’s taking some time to yourself for a night of Netflix in your room, or to knuckle down with your assignments, it’s okay to be a little selfish sometimes. University is a huge commitment and what you do here will change your life, don’t feel bad for putting off friends or family if you’ve work to do or if you want some ‘me time’ after a difficult week, they’ll understand.

09. YOU DON’T HAVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING:

It’s okay to feel like you didn’t fully understand that tutorial reading, or struggle with some of the discussion questions, it can be intimidating going in to tutorials where somebody seems very knowledgeable and opinionated but don’t feel like you’re behind or any less knowledgeable, we will all get different questions from the readings and it is beneficial to discuss them from every angle. There are no ‘stupid’ questions.

10. DON’T BE HARD ON YOURSELF!

It can be helpful to remind yourself that the first two years do not count towards your final degree classification, so try not to beat yourself up if things aren’t going as well as you’d planned just enjoy the journey, soak it up and enjoy every minute because 4 years will be gone before you know it. You’ve got this far, you’re already doing great!

Images sourced from Google 

https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/about-mental-health

http://communicate-slt.org.uk/services/talk-with-me/

Second year Theology and Religious Studies student at the University of Aberdeen.