bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Ways to Avoid the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Coming to college is like being exposed to a whole new world. You’re constantly meeting new people and you have a new found freedom. While all of this is fun and exciting, it’s important to make sure that you are taking care of yourself in the midst of all of the amusement. If you don’t want to gain the unfamous “Freshman 15,” here’s what you need to do.

1. Watch what you eat.

While you’re away at school, you’re parents aren’t going to be around to tell you what to eat or fix dinner for you. It’s up to make the decision to eat a salad rather than the cookies fresh out of the oven. There are unhealthy food choices everywhere you turn from the fast food restaurants to the burgers grilling in the dining hall, but just like there are unhealthy choices, there are healthy ones too. They may be a little bit harder to find amongst the temptation. Fruit is always a good choice to have when you’re in a rush, and grilled options are always available. so, put down the cakes and pick up the grapes! 

2. Stay active

A sedentary lifestyle in college will lead to an unhealthy lifestyle in adulthood. Take advantage of the classes offered at the Campus Recreation Center. This facility is covered in your tuition, so use it! If you have nothing to do go for a walk around campus, (during the day time) and enjoy the beauty of the campus. The bus is extremely convenient, but if you have time to walk to class, just do it. You’ll feel so much better knowing that you got some exercise in for the day, even if it is just walking.

3. Limit partying

The partying in college is quite intense, and it’s fun every once in a while. However, going out every weekend and indulging in drinking with your friends takes a toll on your body. Liquid calories are the hardest to burn off, and alcoholic beverages are full of them! Trust me, it’s okay to say no to a party, there will be more to enjoy. Instead of partying, go for a swim and enjoy some fruit and water poolside. All you need is some music and you friends, and you’ll have just as much fun. Not to mention, you’ll get some exercise in as well!

HCXO!

Ora Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Ora Lewis. I attend Valdosta State University, where I study Public Relations. I enjoy all things fashion and beauty. I love meeting new people and traveling!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.