bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What’s real and what’s not? Common Workout Myths Exposed.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With Spring break looming near, the rush to the Recreation Center and Southwest has begun. This means girls in tight spandex shorts for every elliptical, and jacked, sweaty guys in tanks for every bench. In order to look good in those itty-bitty bikinis, it’s important to know the difference between what’s true and what isn’t when making new spring break workout plans.

Here is the truth behind some common gym myths:

Myth: The calorie count on the machine is accurate.  
The machine gives you a rough estimate, but it doesn’t take into account multiple other factors. “Body fat percentage and fitness level can also make a difference.  A person with a greater percentage of lean muscle mass will burn more calories at a given intensity.  The person’s fitness level is also a factor as beginners are less efficient and therefore will burn more calories doing the same exercise than someone who does it regularly,” said Julia Valentour, American Heart Association Training Center Coordinator, in an article on ACE.org. Don’t rely too heavily on those ever-changing digital numbers on the elliptical or treadmill, use it more as an estimate than an absolute truth. 

Myth: No pain, no gain! 
This is a common expression heard anywhere, whether it’s at the gym or from your coach.  However this well-known saying is very flawed. “Soreness is related to a number of factors, none of which directly correlate to muscle growth,” said Terra Yeske, Gold’s Gym Manager of Personal Training Development, in an article on GoldsGym.com. The soreness of the muscles doesn’t kick in until a few days after going to the gym as well. Don’t overdo it and hurt yourself because then it will be all pain and no gain!

Myth: If women lift weights they will get large muscles and look bulky. 
Women don’t have enough testosterone for this.  A girl that walks into the gym, and lifts weights won’t leave looking like the Hulk. Female weightlifters, the exceptions, have very specific and individualized workouts and diets that help them achieve the super-jacked look. Lifting weights and working on specific muscle groups will actually help obtain that toned look many of us are looking for. Nice, tight arms and backs won’t appear out of thin air!

Myth: Doing a thousand crunches a day will give you that a ripped stomach.  
“In order to burn fat, you should create a workout that includes both cardiovascular and strength-training elements.  This will decrease your overall body fat content,” said Phil Tyne, director of the fitness center at the Baylor Tom Landry Health and Wellness Center in Dallas for Webmd.com.  First, you need to get rid of the extra tummy fat in order for you’re muscles underneath to show. Be patient; it won’t happen overnight since you can’t target specific areas of fat loss.

Myth: If you aren’t sweating, you didn’t get a good workout.  
Sweat exists in order to cool down the body.  You could run just as much outside in the hot heat or inside in the A/C and still get the same exact workout; you’ll sweat more outside because it is hot. Also, some people sweat more easily than others. The exercise itself, not how much sweat is dripping down your face, determine how good of a workout you’ve had.

Myth: If I run, I’ll lose weight. 
We’ve all seen the girls (or have been the girls) who come into the gym everyday and jog lightly on the treadmills for a bit because “I want to lose weight.”  Well, running is great exercise, and we all want to lose weight, but there are many factors that can add into someone not burning fat just from running. Distance, intensity, and time all play a part.  “Run four to six times a week, for a minimum of 30 minutes each run. A pace, which allows you to maintain a conversation, gives you a low to medium intensity run at 60 to 70 percent of your maximum heart rate. This will burn calories and use fat as energy,” said Olu Odebunmi on Livestrong.com. Increase your speed, distance, or both, on a regular basis. It is not just good enough to do the same workout everyday; you must constantly challenge yourself to see results.

Now that you know what’s real and what’s not, it’s time to pump some iron and hit the track. Spring break is right around the corner! Good luck, collegiettes!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.