rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Counseling and Mental Health Resources at UCD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The facts are that 10-20% of women will experience depression in their lifetimes, 11% of college students have been treated for anxiety, 10% have been treated for depression, and 2 out of 3 college students suffering from depression never seek treatment. The second highest cause of death among college students is suicide. (Read more here and here).

Depression is not a choice, a personal failing, or a sign of weakness, but in fact, a common and treatable illness. Despite this, many collegiettes are afraid to seek help for depression, for various reasons. They may feel guilty for being depressed, or wait to “snap out of it.” Many feel depression is shameful and are afraid to tell someone. The refusal of many sufferers to seek treatment for depression illustrates the massive social stigma that still surrounds it and other mental illnesses. This is a tragedy, because no one should feel ashamed for feeling depressed. No one would tell someone wanting to seek help for diabetes or chronic pain that they should just suck it up or magically cure themselves through willpower and positive thinking. The body doesn’t work like that, and neither does the brain. The fact that depression is a mental rather than a physical ailment does not make it any more deserving of guilt or shame.

The good news: UCD’s Student Health and Counseling Services provide many resources available to all registered students, all free of charge. 

Depression, in fact, has been proven to be a highly treatable illness. If you’re even thinking you may need help or would benefit from the resources below, I strongly recommend giving them a try. You can only benefit.

Individual Counseling

To sign up for short-term individual counseling, all you have to do is schedule an initial appointment, during which you meet with staff to determine whether short-term individual counseling may be beneficial. Unless students are at direct risk of harming themselves or others, or longer-term counseling is needed, in which cases patients may be referred, counseling is 100% confidential. To schedule an appointment, visit North Hall or call 530-752-2349.

Group Counseling

SHCS also provides group counseling. Groups consist of 4-10 students meeting weekly and can be a great way to find peer support among students dealing with similar issues, like grief, sexual trauma, LGBTQ support, eating and body image, improving social confidence, etc. While some groups are drop-in, most require an initial consultation, which can be beneficial in determining if a group is right for you (no awkwardly showing up to a group session, feeling out of place, and never coming back). To schedule a screening, visit North Hall or call 530-752-2349.

The Mind Spa

Located in the CAPS Clinic at the Student Health and Wellness Center and at 132 North Hall, the Mind Spa is a great place to de-stress and unwind. Resources include massage chairs, light therapy, a Conquering Insomnia program, and even therapy dogs! The Mind Spa is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.  

Mental Health Consultation

Students with mental health related concerns can also call 530-752-2349 to talk to a counselor. Call services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

National Alliance on Mental Illness at UC Davis 

The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a campus club dedicated to providing awareness and reducing stigmatization of mental health issues. On May 13th, NAMI will be hosting a Mental Health Fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the quad. Come by to support mental health awareness and to learn more about available resources or organizations. 

Aimee Lim is a junior at UC Davis, pursuing an English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as a minor in Biology. Besides writing and editing for Her Campus at UCD, she is interning as a middle school's teacher's assistant and for the McIntosh & Otis Literary Agency. She also volunteers for the UCD Center for Advocacy, Research, and Education (CARE), which combats campus sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, and stalking. An aspiring novelist, her greatest achievement is an honorable mention in the Lyttle Lytton "Worst Opening Lines to a (Fictional) Novel" contest. Besides writing, she loves reading, movies, music, women's history, and feminism.Follow her blog at https://lovecaution.wordpress.com.  
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!