jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Do I Do This To Myself? (A Reminder)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

With the constant and persistent societal and media pressures to be thin and fit, it is natural to have appearance-based or superficial motivations for losing weight. It is all too easy to lose sight of what drove you to relentlessly workout and eat clean in the first place. Here’s a reminder of the benefits you will soon reap as a result of your persistent efforts:

1. Exercise helps you sleep: Exercising more requires your body to repair the stresses that muscle tearing and strengthening puts on your body. This will require more rest so you will be more exhausted by nighttime, have an easier time falling asleep, and feel more mentally refreshed every morning to hop out of bed for your 8 AM.

2. It keeps you young: Not only can exercise release endorphins providing you with a boost of youthful energy, but it has also been proven to hold back the aging of your cells. Research published in the journal Science Advances found that those who regularly engage in cardiovascular fitness have longer telomeres, meaning that exercise can actually slow aging and you will be able to get away with using your student discount for at least five years after graduation.

3. Healthy Eating makes you crave good food: Do you ever wish your body would just cease to crave an After-Dark-Special from the Cage every night at 10 PM? Well consistency is key in training your tastebuds, and if you stick to clean eating for long enough, eating colorful fruits and vegetables in abundance, your body will let go of its old vices and will start to crave nature’s candy instead!

4. All of it combined improves your self confidence: This one is the very most important and valuable side effect of working out, and it is the kind thing that comes with small improvements every day. According to The Psych 101 Series: Positive Psychology 101, In Angus Campbell’s study of American happiness, he discovered that a person’s happiness with him or herself determines their satisfaction in life more than anything else. Happiness and self esteem are very highly correlated, which strongly suggests that in order to be happy we should work to have a high self esteem. If some aspect of your body has always bothered you, it’s time to do something about to boost your self confidence and happiness!

Photos:

pexels.com