bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Easy Tips for Healthy Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Is this you? 

The quality of food you eat and the quantity matter so much in terms of your health. I truly believe that eating healthy has become something much more well received and promoted in the past few years. Although I think that some tips and tricks endorsed can be downright insane, there are some general guidelines that can be helpful for anyone wanting to embark on a healthier journey.

Without further ado, here are some guidelines for you! 

1. Understanding the foods that pack a punch

There are certain foods out there that are more nutrient dense. When a food is nutrient dense, that means you are receiving more nutrients for its caloric content. For example, if someone is trying to eat more healthfully, they may think that just because a small bowl of sugary cereal with milk has less calories than, say, a bowl of whole wheat pasta with pesto and lean chicken, it means they’re on the right track. If you think about the amount of nutrients you get from a bowl of cereal with artificial colors and refined sugar, as opposed to a bowl of whole wheat pasta with chicken (fiber, protein…) you would realize that low calories does not always equal a better deal. Focus on the nutrients you’re getting from a food instead of just the calories or fat content.

2. Don’t overeat health foods

It doesn’t matter if avocados are a health food if you eat 6 of them a day. Yes, brown rice is a complex carbohydrate and is preferred over white bread, but portion control matters in this sense. Trail mix and nut butters are considered healthier alternatives and are more nutrient dense than candy and Nutella, but they can tack on calories fast if you don’t watch your portions and serving sizes. Remember that too much of anything isn’t good for you. Not to say that you should count every broccoli floret you chew, but keep in mind that just because something is labeled “healthy”, does not mean that you should binge on them instead of junk food to compensate and to give you peace of mind.

3. Read the labels

A general rule of thumb whenever you purchase food is to make sure that you know what you’re putting in your basket! A run-down on what all those confusing grams and percentages even account for…

4. Labels list ingredients in order by weight

For example, on a package of (not very healthy) cookies, perhaps the ingredients are as listed: enriched flour, corn syrup, sugar, soybean and palm oil, corn syrup solids, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose…etc. You would know that (by weight), the product contains the most flour, and the corn syrup and sugar would make up the vast majority of the product as well. Pay attention. Although a product claims it has a certain health factor to it, make sure to read the label, because sometimes, that kale smoothie you’re inhaling could be composed of mostly sugar and water, with kale listed as the last ingredient. Just a heads up.

5. Eat real food

It may sound like such a “duh” concept, but you have no idea how many people assume that just because it’s sold in the supermarket, it’s considered nutrient-dense or beneficial and edible. The general rule is that the more processed a food is, or the more additives and additional ingredients (sometimes with strange names and chemicals you can’t even pronounce) it contains, the worse for your mind, health, and body it is. Think about what real food is.

Something that you pick from a tree, something you can catch and cook, something you dig up from the ground. The more processed a food is, the more unrecognizable it is from its true form. Think about a chicken as a source of lean protein. Once you deep fry it as fried chicken, or turn them into chicken nuggets, they’re no longer giving you the same health benefits. An apple is a health food in many ways, from its peel containing insoluble fiber with the antioxidant Vitamin C in abundance, but once it’s turned into an apple pie, the sugar and fat outweigh the benefits of the original fruit itself. Ask yourself if the food you’re eating is in its original form. Try to be eat as many non-processed foods as possible and limit ones that are prepackaged or “ready made”.

6. Know how much food you need

Your nutrient needs may differ from what your mother, sister, or friend needs. You need to know what your nutrient needs are, which change based on your gender, height and weight, your activity levels, your lifestyle, and additional factors. Do not assume that because one way of eating works for an individual – be it a celebrity with an enviable figure or a friend who chows on fast food but remains slim, that it will work for you too. Your body is your own, and only you can know what works and doesn’t work for it. A good way to figure out what you need is calculating your Dietary Recommended Intake. Generally, BMI (body mass index) does not take into account your bones, your water weight, your fat and muscle content, or the time of day (or month) it is. You can look wildly different and weigh the exact same as someone, but it does not mean you both possess the same level of health. 

7. Understand what you’re being sold

Think about it this way. The food industry puts millions and millions of dollars into researching how to get a food to taste and look addictive/attractive/trendy, how to make the food convenient for time-starved individuals, and the best ploys and plots to market the food in a profitable way. Do you see many commercials on television for fruits and vegetables? Do you see advertisements and commercials for fast food and diet pills/drinks/programs much more? It’s a double edged sword. On one hand, we’re being sold convenience foods and fast food, and on the other hand, we’re offered diet and weight loss programs that are restrictive and not manageable for the long term. They benefit each other. You, as the consumer, do not get any benefits. You do get these 2 things: poor health and an empty wallet.

The more money you spend on unsustainable weight loss programs and fast food, the more you have to pay to get back on track. It’s much easier to prevent something than it is to cure it.

8. Recognize which foods to limit

Food is food is food, right? Not always. Like I mentioned, even food groups such as carbohydrates or vegetables and fruits can have a hierarchy. Here are some suggestions when it comes down to the kinds of foods that have more benefits, and some that don’t offer quite as much in terms of nutrients.

I don’t really want to make a list of foods to “avoid” because that can be restrictive and cause many people to turn the other way when a favorite food is deemed “off-limits”. Instead, I’ll list some general ones and their more mindful alternatives.

List of some alternatives:

• Soft drinks, fruit juices with added sugars, drinks that have added sugar, and diet soft drinks 
  • Try: Green tea, unsweetened iced tea, fresh squeezed juice, smoothies made with whole fruits and vegetables, and of course, water
  • Pastries and baked goods
  • Try: A baked apple with some Greek yogurt and a dash of cinnamon, or try creating healthier versions of your favorite baked goods. I love going to Chocolate Covered Katie for inspiration as well as Yummly.
  • Prepackaged snack foods such as chips, frozen entrees and convenience foods 
  • Try: Pop plain popcorn (without all the salt and butter!). It has fiber to keep you satisfied. 
  • Fast food (hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, deep fried chicken …) 
  • You could always substitute your favourites. Instead of a pizza from the local fast food chain, why not get a whole wheat pita, smear on some tomato paste, and go to town with fresh veggies, grilled chicken and meat, fresh herbs, and a sprinkling of calcium dense cheese? 

9. Respect your time with food

15 minute lunch breaks that call for a microwaved tater tot or a small cup of black coffee. Eating half a sandwich while driving to pick up a friend on the way to class. We all do these things. Eating while walking around the house reading a textbook for school, or mindlessly snacking while we catch up on a show we’ve been dying to watch. If you sit down and actually chew (it’s not insulting to tell someone this), you’ll enjoy the food so much more and feel satisfied with less. A psychiatrist that dealt with mindfulness once taught me to do this trick when I eat:

1. Sit down somewhere quiet, or in a relaxed environment (whether at the dinner table or outside at a park bench)
  2. Take your food and bite or take off a small piece to eat
  3. With every few chews, close your eyes and focus on the sight and smell of the food, the texture of the food, what it tastes like, and the little details.

What does it look like? What does it taste like? What sounds do you hear? How is your body reacting to the food? Are you enjoying the food?

10. Take small steps to reach the top

Look, this isn’t one of those things where it’s like cramming for a test, and once you take the exam, it’s over. Health isn’t a goal we “reach”, but rather a lifestyle that we work toward every day. It may sound like a lot of work, and at times (especially when you aren’t used to it, it can be), but every choice you make in terms of nutrition will count. Eating healthy and mindfully is a skill, I believe. You work for it, and you work towards it. You don’t have to omit all foods you crave right away, and you don’t have to follow your guidelines every single second of every day, but realize that what you put into your body affects a lot more than just your appearance. 

Image Source: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8

Elvira Chan is a third year Communication and Print & Digital Publishing student at Simon Fraser University. Passionate about telling stories that have an impact, she is an advocate for creating change through words and conversations. A blog writer, storyteller, student, and explorer, Elvira has worked, written, and volunteered for several organizations revolving around media, education, and tourism. She hopes to pursue a career in the publishing industry as well as the healthcare industry.