This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Midterms are ending and Halloween is aprroaching – aka things are looking UP! Hopefully, you gals have been working on your bods and fueling them right so you can look hot, hot, hot while you’re prancing around in your costume of choice. To keep in the spirit of things (mainly because I am a Halloween affectionado), I’m going to provide you with some healthy treat recipe and ideas to keep your sugar indulgences a little healthier during one of the sugar-iest times of year! 

1. Reese’s Cups-Redo 

Now Reese’s aren’t necesarrily the worst choice among candies in the first place, but with unmonitored portions your sweet treat could quickly become a dietary nightmare. 

Here are the quick hits nutritionally for popular Reese’s candy portions:             –> Standard 2-cup package: 210 calories/13g fat/21g sugar             –> Reese’s pumpkin (seasonal FAVE): 170 calories/10g fat/16g sugar             –> Reese’s mini (per ONE cup/serving size of 5 cups): 44 or 210 calories/2.4g or 13g fat

So, as I said, not the worst option for you, but definitely be careful about serving sizes (especially with the minis – those calories add up fast!)

Still got a serious hankering for that irresistible combo? Try one of these cleaner, healthier copy cat recipes: 

*or if you’re feeling lazy just smear some natural peanut butter on a slab of dark chocolate

2. Starburst/Skittles Sugar Bombs

These types of candies are notorious for their sugary bodies, bright coloring and burst of flavor. While all of that sounds fun and spirited, the scary amounts of sugar hiding within your colored friends might make you think twice before scarfing down a couple fun-sized bags. If you’re really craving something sweet, tart or sugary, try instead something that might last a little longer or be on the lower side of the calorie count. My suggestions are:

• Blow Pops/Dum-Dums/Tootsie Pops
  • Jolly Ranchers
  • Smarties
  • If you still can’t shake the craving of a succulent pink or red Starburst (because honestly what other flavors would you be desiring?) then try to stick to a single serving fun size pack. 

3.  Maybe candy isn’t really your thing (#…), but if that’s the case (again, #…), there are plenty of other delicious and season options out there! Pick up a few of these limited-time products and enjoy among your (normal) candy-loving friends!

Whatever treats you decide to celebrate with this holiday, remember to keep them in moderation and keep working up a sweat until it’s time to slip into your festive gear!