Things to Do when you are having a Mental Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

In life, and especially in college, there are going to come points in one’s life that they just think they cannot do it anymore. I think we have all had that feeling before. If you are anything like I am, you will soon come to find that despite all of your efforts, some things just are not going to go your way and there is nothing to do about it. We are all human. We all have faults. We all break down sometimes. I am here to tell you that it is okay to have mental breakdowns sometimes. In fact, it is completely normal to have mental breakdowns. Holding everything in for too long is what causes people to explode. Do not be that person. Let yourself breakdown, and remember that you are strong enough to pick yourself back up. Here are a couple tips for when you are having a mental breakdown.

1.     Do Not Isolate Yourself

One of the first instincts that people get when they are having a mental, physical or emotional breakdown is to isolate themselves from everyone. While this can feel liberating at the time, it will ultimately lead to more stress and anxiety from cutting yourself off from the outside world for too long. Force yourself to see someone every day. Get a study partner; make lunch plans in between class. You do not have to dedicate your entire day to someone, but make sure you do not spend your whole day alone, especially if you are not in the best state of mind.

2.     Get Yourself Organized

Sometimes mental breakdowns can start from losing something, not knowing where something is or another very small thing that can turn a good day into a nightmare. Getting organized and having a plan is easier to say than to actually implement. However, you are far less likely to have a mental breakdown if you have an organized schedule, room, etc. If you are breaking down and do not know what to do, start small. Do your laundry, take out the trash in your room, and go through your clothes. It does not have to be big changes in your life to make an impact. Do whatever you think you need. Trust me, it will help you in the long run.

3.     Consider Meditation or Yoga

If you are having trouble unwinding or getting your mind off the things that you worry about most, consider an outlet like yoga or meditation. Relax and be happy. It can be for five minutes or it can be for two hours, let your body tell you what it needs. Sometimes going for a run helps relieve stress for some, sometimes taking a nap relieves stress for others. If what you are doing is not working, try something else. Your brain cannot be on autopilot all day or else you will not be able to function at a full capacity or have a good mental wellbeing while doing so. Sometimes less is more.

4.     Get Help with your Stress and Happiness levels

I do not know if counseling is for everyone, but certainly seeking out help from a friend, teacher or even parent is extremely healthy and liberating during times of stress. Having an outside perspective on an issue makes a big difference sometimes and can allow you to make a better decision without being rash. Everyone deals with stress, everyone. Stress management is one of the hardest things in the world to be an expert on. When one is too stressed out, they often compromise their happiness because of all the stress going on in their life. Stress can be both good and bad. Stress can push us to be better and improve things but it can also break us down both inside and out. If you do not like to talk to people about your problems, a great idea would be to get a journal. Even writing things out on paper can help you have another look at what is going on in your life and help you to figure out how to tackle it.

5.     Look After Your Body

Some people run around all day trying to tackle all of their obligations but forget to take care of the most important thing of all: themselves. Your body is a temple and it needs rest to have energy and help you move throughout your day successfully. Alcohol, though it is usually a quick fix, is not the answer to fixing all of your problems. Get a good night sleep, wake up in the morning early and try to avoid taking a nap as much as possible. Listen to your body. If you are not healthy both physically and emotionally, you are a lot more likely to have a breakdown and from there, everything can turn into a downward spiral.

6.     Remember that you are going to be okay

Life is hard. I am not the first or last person to tell you that. It is how you react in certain situations and how you treat people that will ultimately decide your happiness and well-being in this life. Do you worry about things constantly? Put a fence around all of the things that you worry about and write it in a journal. It is a lot easier to conquer tasks when you know what you are dealing with first. Make a decision what are the most important things to do and what can hold off until later. You are not alone, and you are not the only one dealing with mental, emotional and physical stress. I think that most collegiates all go throughout that sometime during their lives. Surround yourself with a good foundation of people that care about you and that you care about. Life is better when you surround yourself with the ones that you love. Take each day with a grain of salt and remember that in time everything is going to turn out okay. 

My name is Chandler Baker, a senior at the University of Oregon. I am a public relations major and expect to graduate in June 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts from the School of Journalism and Communication. I am addicted to caffeine, concerts, and the outdoors.
The official Her Campus Oregon account