The 5 Best Apps For Staying Healthy

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Being a college student can take a serious toll on your overall health and fitness. Whether it’s the countless hours spent at the library, nights you’ll never forget at New Bar (or even remember), or the copious amounts of food available in the on-campus dining halls, we all have admitted to putting our health on the back burner. As the tech savvy generation we are, we spend countless hours glued to our computer screen and mobile devices, so why not put those technologies to good use? Our mobile devices offer us excellent resources to choose workouts, track calories and make healthy choices right at our fingertips.

With the chaotic schedules college graciously gives us, Her Campus chose our top five fitness apps for your mobile devices to use anywhere:

1. Instant Fitness ($1.99)This app is available for all iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users and is bringing personal training to your dorm room or house. Since making the trek to the rec can be a struggle in itself, this is the go-to app for working out without equipment. You have the ability to choose exercises that work for you, make fitness plans and be guided with step-by-step animations and cues.

2. Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (Free)The freshman 15 can catch many by surprise. With a large food database, this app can help you track meals and snacks with a push of a button. Available for both Android and iPhone users, this app is designed as your personal diary to document consumption, exercise and progress. Who knew staying in shape could be so easy?

3. MapMyRun (Free)For those of you who enjoy a nice run around campus, this app uses the built in GPS in your mobile device to track all your fitness activities. By clicking “Start Workout,” the app records duration, distance, pace, speed, elevation, calories burned and route traveled. No more guessing if that run to Farmer and back was worth the sweat.

4. DrinkFIt – Beer, Cocktail, Liquor & Wine Nutrition Facts ($1.99)Although you might think chugging a Trashcan at Brick Street is a good idea at the time, your body may disagree. With DrinkFit, you’re able to calculate the nutrition facts of almost any alcoholic beverage. Ever wondered how much time you need to add to today’s workout after last night’s wild party? This app will solve all curiosities and help to select a healthy drink of choice.

5. Sleep Cycle alarm clock ($0.99)Part of staying healthy in college is getting an adequate amount of sleep each week. This can be hard with cramming for exams, homework, projects and papers. Whether it’s four or eight hours each night, Sleep Cycle analyzes your sleep and wakes you up in your lightest sleep phase, helping you to feel refreshed and energized every morning. Check this out in the app store and let your life forever be changed.