5 Ways to Make Running More Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The first month of running after you’ve decided to pursue a healthier lifestyle is always dreaded. Building stamina is one of the most difficult things I have encountered, and pushing yourself to keep up with your running routine is even more difficult. For those of us who hate running, here are five ways to make that mile more enjoyable.

1.  Apps: If you thrive off of hitting goals, try RunKeeper. It is a basic app that tracks distance, time running and time per mile. I love using it because it gives you the ability to set goals and then alerts you when you meet them. If you need more motivation to keep going, try Zombies, Run! Essentially it’s a game that plays over your music when running and gives you a story line along with random zombie chases. Believe me, you will run when zombies are after you. 

2.  Competition: I’m a huge advocate for running with a buddy for motivation, but if you aren’t able to find one, just try to match your speed to another runner nearby. 

3.  Reward Yourself: Goals are created for a reason: so you have something to strive toward. When you reach those goals, typically new ones are created. But what’s the point of setting goals if nothing happens when you meet them? Reward yourself with little treats after you hit new marks; it makes running all the more fun.

4.  New Workout Clothes: Looking good and feeling good go hand in hand. Buying new athletic wear or shoes adds in yet another reason to go run!

5.  Try a Theme 5K: If you’re a more experienced distance runner, sign up for a unique theme 5K. Look into the Color Run, Glow Run and Rave Run to get started. Runs like this offer endless fun and people watching too. 

Freshman news and information journalism student at the University of Kansas. Rock Chalk!