bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to Eat Before and After You Work Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Many people underestimate the importance of nutritious pre- and post-workout meals; little do they know that a good meal can improve the whole dynamic of a workout and keep your muscles growing strong long-after. If you are one of those people guilty of skipping a pre-workout snack or grabbing McDonald’s as a reward on the way home from the gym, here are some foods to consider:

Before the workout:

Whole Wheat Toast with Peanut Butter & Banana: For a pre-workout meal, carbs are your best friend, so don’t be scared away by the myth that bread and peanut butter are [always] too fattening! Also, a dash of cinnamon sprinkled on top makes this classic sandwich even more enjoyable!

Oatmeal: Another carb you do not want to steer away from; oatmeal is a great source of protein, fiber, energy, and muscle-building nutrients. Don’t like plain oats? Add in some fruit or even cinnamon to make the dish tastier!

Greek Yogurt: Loaded with vitamins, calcium, and protein, Greek yogurt is known for fueling your muscles and aiding in fat burn. Regular yogurt can be great too, but Greek yogurt specifically is praised for providing almost twice the amount of protein, keeping you fuller longer. It’s especially delicious with some mixed in fruits or granola.

Eggs: Eggs are one of the greatest sources of protein you can fuel your body with, and there are so many yummy ways you can eat them! Packed with nutrients, eggs are said to curb cravings throughout the day by keeping you fuller longer, while also helping you build up strong muscles. Try an egg-white sandwich or an omelet to fuel up!

After the workout:

Tuna Fish on Whole Wheat Bread: Carbs and proteins work together to get the muscles recovering immediately after a workout, so there’s almost nothing better than this superfood sandwich packed with protein! You are guaranteed to feel satisfied after an exhausting workout. Add some fruit or nuts as a side!

Grilled Chicken: Again, post-workout, your body is just dying for protein to help recover. Lean meat, like grilled chicken, is the perfect safe dish. Brown rice or vegetables on the side are recommended to add a little extra and because we all need our greens, right??

Salmon: Similar to chicken, salmon fulfills your post-workout protein needs! Don’t worry so much about the high calories or noted fat; this fish is high in omega-3 fatty acids, the type of fat your body needs to help you lose weight. Can’t go wrong with veggies on the side here either!

Protein Shake: Shakes often get a bad rep, but when done right, they are the absolute best go-to post-workout snack. They give your body exactly what it wants – protein! Pair the drink with some nuts or a banana, and just make sure you avoiding the sugar-packed shakes in disguise. Contrary to many fears, if you prepare the right kind of shake, it will be filling!

Most importantly, don’t be afraid to eat! Your body needs exercise AND fuel to make sure you’re getting the most out of your workout. Skipping out on meals will just tarnish the body you are working so hard to achieve!

Jersey girl. Senior Accounting major at Hofstra University. Treasurer for Hofstra's Her Campus chapter. Raven loves entertainment, fashion, and fitness, and has a true passion for journalism. Be sure to check out her favorite form of social media, Pinterest: /ravenjtak
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!