4 Fun Songs Inspire the Perfect Booty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The year 2014 was without a doubt the Year of the Booty and the trend of having a luscious backside isn’t going to be going out of style anytime soon. Kim Kardashian, Amber Rose, Nicki Minaj, and the Queen B herself have paved the way for ladies with junk in their trunk. But you don’t need to have millions to have a butt that’s worth a million. Having a big booty may not be something you were born with, but these booty anthems and workouts will get you closer to showing off your assets for bikini season.

“Bootylicious” by Destiny’s Child: Classic Squats w/ Medicine Ball

The original big booty anthem deserves the ultimate workout for a toned butt. Squats may seem overdone but the key to a fulfilling workout is to engage your glutes with some resistance. If a medicine ball isn’t available to you, free weights, kettle balls, or even a watermelon will get the job done. When doing a squat, keep your feet shoulder width apart. You want your stance to be grounded so that you can really drop it low. Hold the medicine ball in front of your chest and keep it there as you bend your legs. Keep your core tight as you squat with your back straight. You should feel this in your booty and your thighs as you squat, and for best results do between 25-100 squats. By building up your workload with each workout, you condition your body to the perfect toned tush.

“Anaconda” by Nicki Minaj: Hip Raises

For this booty workout, you’re going to need to lie on your back in order to get buns like Nicki. Get your body in the position like you’re about to do a sit up, but instead of raising your torso, you are going to thrust your hips to the ceiling, bringing your booty off the floor. This move may feel kind of weird at first, but once you start grooving to the beat and feeling the burn in your butt, you know you’re on the right track.  Repeat 25-50 times.

“Booty” by Iggy Azaelea: Side Squats with Kicks

Next up, another squat exercise but with an unconventional twist. This workout is a combination of two moves, just like “Booty” combines the rump-tastic talents of Miss Jenny from the Block, Jennifer Lopez and Australian’s rapper from down under, Iggy Azaelea. Iggy and Jennifer’s song is all about teaming up two different styles of music and this booty exercise combines two moves for killer results. Start with your feet shoulder width apart and drop down into a side lunge with your hands in front of your body. Then when you come back up, put your hands on your hips and kick your lunging leg outward. This will work both the inner thighs as well as the butt and you should repeat this move 25 times on each leg.

“Bubble Butt” by Major Lazer: Donkey Kicks

Last but not least, donkey kicks with the catchy club hit “Bubble Butt” that got everyone shaking their rumps when it came on the air. “Bubble Butt” catches your attention with its eclectic collection of artists and exaggerated music video and this exercise will have everyone staring at your own bubble butt. Start by kneeling on all four, hands shoulder width apart. Then bring one leg up, kicking straight up towards the ceiling. You can either highlight each butt muscle with sets of twenty five on each leg or mix it up by switching from right to left leg kicks. Either way, have fun with the electric beat of the song and let your booty muscles burn to get your dream booty for summer.  

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!