This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Around this time our workload starts to get heavier and heavier. Midterms are coming up and if you’re anything like me, studying inevitably leads to snacking. The best way to survive study session snacking is to do it right and plan it out. It’s time that we accept the fact that we’re going to snack and have cravings when we’re under a lot of stress from work, so instead of trying to fight our cravings, we can pick the right foods. Step away from the potato chips and reach for a healthier option… these snacks are mood-elevating and stress reducing–perfect for productive hours at the library!

Nuts:

When you’re craving something like potato chips or pretzels, have nuts instead. My favorite kinds of nuts are lightly salted peanuts and almonds mixed together. Nuts have an amino acid, tyrosine, which inhibits the production of dopamine to keep you energized. You can get nuts at Whole Foods or at the convenience store in Cox. 

Dark Chocolate:

To satisfy a sweet tooth, don’t go for a big dessert, like a massive cup of Yogli Mogli. Instead, have your daily dosage of chocolate. At our Whole Foods they have a whole wall of tiny square chocolates that are proportioned just enough to fulfill your craving, but not too much to make you feel guilty afterward. Also, there’s no food in the world that can kill a bad mood better than chocolate can.

Popcorn:

When you need a crunch, unbuttered, lightly salted popcorn is a great, light snack. It fills you up and gives you the grains you need. Popcorn gives you the same stress-reducing benefits that you get from eating breads and pastas, so it’s perfect to keep you motivated throughout a study session. Personally, I like to make it a dessert and throw some microwaved dark chocolate chips in the mix (healthy doesn’t mean it has to be boring!)

Berries:

Berries are well-known for being a good “super food” for their antioxidants and natural sugars (especially blueberries). The plus side: they are an easy eat for taking on the go to your study lounge or the stacks. The down side: they spoil really quickly, and if you’re a freshman and don’t have a car, it’s impossible to keep them ready to go in your fridge. The silver lining is that the DUC frequently (not consistently) has really fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries) at the end of the salad bar. Next time you’re heading to the DUC, just bring a container with you and stock up for the next few days!

Hummus:

For when you want something a little more interesting and ethnic, have hummus! Hummus is really high in fiber and protein, contains lots of good fats, like omega-3s, and includes mood-uplifting amino acids. The hummus at Zaya’s is pretty good, and sometimes they even have at the DUC salad bar (questionable quality but hey, it’s there if you need it). Try pairing it with cucumbers or carrots for a fun, crunchy snack!

Apples and Peanut Butter:

Apple slices with peanut butter spread can be an awesome dessert or a group study session snack. This is a great food to keep in your dorm because both apples and peanut butter don’t spoil quickly, so they’re easy to stock up on. Peanut butter is a “good fat” and promotes the production of serotonin. If you’re tentative about reaching for the Jif- Whole Foods lets you make your own organic peanut butter so you know exactly what goes into it! Apples give you natural energy, making this a great mid-day snack. Kids at Emory are really involved and we are always going from one activity right to the next, so stopping to have apples and peanut butter can keep us from feeling burnt out!

Her Campus at Emory University