kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Survive Being Sick in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

There’s nothing worse than being sick in college. Unlike high school, if you miss one day of classes it’s almost like you’re missing an entire semester worth of work. Suddenly, you’re drowning in makeup assignments and tests. Flu season is upon us and if you’re anything like me, maybe you’ve already been a victim of it and are just trying to make it through the day. Between the chills and the sore throat, you just can’t seem to get yourself out of bed. With these 10 tips, you’ll be back on your feet (and maybe in class) in no time!

1. Prevention, prevention, prevention!

This is the first thing you should be doing if you don’t want to get sick in the first place. Practice good hygienic habits such as washing your heads, covering you’re mouth when you sneeze or cough, and avoid rubbing you’re eyes or nose. Germs spread really easily so nipping an illness in the bud before it starts is the best thing to do. 

2. Go see the doctor if you feel an illness coming on.

Viruses like the flu are best treated at home, but bacterial infections like strep throat are treated through antibiotics. The doctor will prescribe them for you and you’ll be feeling better in no time! Don’t wait until the last minute to make an appoitment though, as Health Services is especially packed this time of year.

3. Take a breather and relax.

Stress plays a big role in being sick and can actually make it worse. Use this time to catch up on Netflix, take a much needed bath, or pick up a book and start reading. If it keeps you out of class, you better make it worth it!

4. Make sure you rest plenty and sleep.

Sleeping will help you recharge and re-energize. Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep and go to bed early so you wake up feeling a lot better.

5. Hydrate and rehydrate. 

When you’re sick, you lose a lot of fluid and you may get dehyrated. Make sure you’re drinking enough liquids (espeically water or tea) and drink even when you don’t feel that thirsty. Dehydration may lead to headaches and you don’t want to add to your symptoms. 

6. If you’re contagious, stay at home.

The last thing you want to do is get other people sick. Make sure you’re fever free for 24 hours before you head outside and return to class.

7. Try any of these home remedies to fight the illness and stop it from progressing further.

Tea, especially herbal and spiced tea, have beneficial ingredients that will help soothe a sore throat and clear congestion. Try peppermint, lemon, ginger, chai or black tea, chamomile, and green tea. Not only will it help with that annoying head-cold, but it also is a delicious way to drink some more water – who doesn’t love tea!

8. Make sure you’re eating the right foods so you don’t upset you’re stomach further. 

I honestly think one of the worst illnesses you can get in college is getting the stomach bug. You feel like you’re not in control and you just have to let it run it’s course. Also, what you eat plays a big role in whether you feel sick or feel like you can manage it. You can’t go wrong with soup, especially chicken noodle soup or bland foods like toast and bananas. 

9. Call your mom.

I’ll be the first one to admit that I need my mom when I’m sick. I miss her chicken noodle soup and her advice on how to get over the dreaded flu. Yes, I called her three times today. Yes, I called her just to complain and ask her what to do. And that’s totally okay.

10. Let your professors know that you’re sick so you don’t get an unexcused abscence.

Not only does it suck that you’re sick, but it’ll be worse if you get an unexcused abscence because you didn’t tell your professor. Make sure to go to the Absence Memo Office and get your work in on time!

Everyone can agree that being sick in college is the worst but you can beat it and feel better in no time with these 10 tips!

Allie Stern

C of C '19

Allie is a young public health professional, Guns N Roses enthusiast, cannabis educator, and Home Goods #1 customer. She is an up-and-coming entrepreneur who is passionate about women's empowerment and leadership. When she's not planning out her future on her white board, she can be found playing video games or watching Marvel movies with her boyfriend Amal.