Personal Trainer and Business Owner Alonza Walton’s Advice for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Anyone who has met my father, Alonza Walton, knows that business and fitness are his passions. He is constantly reading books about how to better himself not only health-wise but also as a businessman. That is why I chose him to share the information he has acquired over the years so he can advise college students about leading a healthy life as well as a successful career.

Her Campus: What do you do for a living?

Alonza Walton: I invest in real estate as well as real estate speculation. I also own a gym specializing in personal training.

HC: What sparked your interest in nutrition/ fitness?

AW: My personal goals at the time sparked my interest. I enjoyed working out, and, going to my own personal gym, I realized that people were recruiting me and asking for advice about their diets and workout routines. For me, interest sparked education. I started reading more so I would know what I am doing. As I studied I realized more what I didn’t know and became interested. I studied, learned and became certified.

HC: How important is nutrition when it comes to staying fit?

AW: I have found that it is at least 80% of the challenge when it comes to new clients.

HC: Have you found that once your clients have started, they find it easier to continue eating healthier and working out?

AW: Most of them, yes, on the eating side. For working out, some people will not push themselves as hard as someone else will. This includes personal trainers. It’s very difficult for some people to step outside of their comfort zones.

HC: What about the ones who do not? How do you (or your employees) keep them motivated?

AW: I do monthly evaluations at the beginning of every month. Everyone has a report card or a grading system to make them look at themselves and push themselves harder.

HC: Do you ever have times where you don’t feel motivated? How do you overcome that if you do?

AW: Yes, I do. Personally, I read about new nutritional findings. Seeing the effects of the casual bowl of ice-cream or unhealthy meal and reading about the effects of white sugar and white flour makes me remember my focus. I know that once I start gaining a little weight, I tighten up my diet (knowing that diet is 80%) and work out a little harder. I slip sometimes and I get hard on myself.  Just like everyone else, I feel self-defeated, at times.

HC: Do you have any advice for college students about balancing staying healthy, getting good grades, enough sleep, and socialization?

AW: Cut your computer off after your finish your homework. Make your socialization time about meeting people in person instead of online. In school, your priority should be school. Therefore most of your time and energy should be focused on that. As for fitness, walking, being outside, etc., and you should incorporate socialization with your fitness. Ride bikes, swim and find like-minded people. You will find people that are interested in the same things and find a nice hobby or even a lifelong friend. Fitness is not just going to a gym and buying a membership, its just movement; physical challenge. Make friendship and fitness the same thing instead of dissociating it from your lifestyle. Fitness is not just walking into a gym; that’s what corporate people want you to believe. When I was in my best shape, I was not a member of a gym. I played basketball, skateboarded, and roller skated with my friends.

HC: What is the most important thing to remember when trying to keep your body in shape?

AW: Caloric accountability. Even if you don’t work out every day, you should be aware of how much your body burns every day and eat accordingly.

HC: What are the common mistakes you have found that clients make?

AW: The most common mistake I have seen is making the assumption that they could work out hard enough to eat whatever they want. The body is very efficient at storing food, energy, fat etc. If you know that rent at a certain place is going to cost $5,000 a month, you’re not going to accept a job that pays $2,000 a month. This relates to the aforementioned caloric accountability. You should not eat more than your body can burn if you wish to stay fit.

HC: Since you found a passion in nutrition and were able make a living out of it, do you have any advice for students about finding something they love and turning it into a business?

AW: You have to know yourself. Make sure when you think you found something you enjoy, that its what you actually like, and not just what others around you like. If you enjoy something, pursue it safely and smartly. Do what makes you comfortable even if it is something that others might not enjoy. Make sure it’s your comfort and not what others want you to do.  Do a real analysis and ask yourself, “Is this going to give me the lifestyle I want?” Also, make sure it is profitable. If not make it a hobby and find a job that brings you closer to it so you can make money but still do what you enjoy. For example, if you want to be a tennis player but for some reason can’t, you can try opening a tennis school. You might be more of an asset to the world producing multiple champions than if you were one yourself. Don’t think you always have to be the best ever to enjoy what you are doing. Just make sure you like it!

HC: What qualities do you look for in a potential employee?

AW: For this field, the first thing I look for is personality. As a trainer, you have to lead. Personable and good listening skills. Self-criticism is essential. They have to be able to listen to the criticism of the client in order to figure out what works and what doesn’t. Everyone is unique and needs a different experience.

HC: What qualities do you try to avoid in a potential employee?

AW: I try to avoid cockiness and excessive pride. Some employees are too self-assured. Once again, you have to be able to put the client before you. If something does not work for them, you have to be able to adjust. If you are #1 then the client is #2, which is a big problem.

Image via  rawpixel.com/Unsplash

HC: do you think college students should do to make themselves more marketable to employers?

AW: Ask questions. Know what someone expects of you before you try to take on the task of delivering it. Be honest in what you do and what experience you have and flexible show you’re ready to learn.

HC: Can you speak a little bit about the situation of being an employee versus being an employer?

AW: My view of fitness changed when I became an employer. The major difference is that while the client is the main motivation, as an employer if I don’t have enough clients coming in, I will not be able to break even. If I don’t keep the client as my number one motivator, I would not be able to get referrals, keep the clients I already have, nor keep my doors open.

HC: Do you have any other advice or anything else you would like to close the interview with?

AW: One word: balance. Balance is essential to avoiding struggles. People get stressed because they have too many baskets (work, family, friends.) They need to consolidate them all together instead of dissociating everything they do from one another. Also, find people you are comfortable around and become comfortable with yourself. Make sure you like what you do and live for yourself, not those around you. Change company, not what you do but make sure what you are doing can make you a reasonable profit. It’s a lot more fun to make fitness into a lifestyle.

Brianna Walton

Agnes Scott '21

Brianna graduated from Agnes Scott College in 2021 with a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Business Management. She has a passion for social justice issues, self-care, and self-expression via writing. Her favorite things to do are listen to music, draw, talk to friends, and take long walks in nature. She is currently working as a digital marketer and freelance social media manager.