This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

The holidays can be tricky for most families and being a vegetarian adds an extra level of chaos for my family. My sister and I became vegetarians about 4 years ago, this all started out by us totally losing the desire to eat meat. It just became super unappetizing, and that was then followed by learning about all the health benefits that can come from being a vegetarian. This was not something that my family loved; my mom was super helpful in making us food we can eat, but was constantly concerned if we were getting enough nutrients – which was especially a concern at family events. This is why I am going to give great ideas for alternatives that vegetarians can eat during the holiday season. 

One of my favorite things my mom has come up with is vegetarian lasagna, this is the absolute best! It is layers of vegetables, cheese, sauce, and noodles! This is a fan favorite for my Italian household. It is perfect because it is super easy to make and almost resembles a primavera pasta dish! 

Another dish that is enjoyed by everyone is barbeque Brussel sprouts, this is forsure a side dish, but it is absolutely amazing! First, the Brussel sprouts should be cut in half and then sauté on the stove until crispy. This is when you add the barbeque to make the perfect golden layer! 

Being a vegetarian can be challenging, but with a little bit of effort and of course – Pinterest ideas, it doesn’t half to be. There are also amazing meat alternatives around the holiday. If you are vegetarian, or are thinking about switching, I always recommend starting out slowly, so your body has to adjust. It doesn’t have to mean eating only salad, it can be whatever you what it to be!

Julianna Sandine

Youngstown '24

I am a Senior at Youngstown State University, majoring in Biochemistry through the Baccmed program. My hobbies include thrifting, drinking coffee, doing yoga, and hanging out with her friends! I love HerCampus for all it has given & taught me, I have met the most amazing girls through HC <3