This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Since the new semester started, I’ve noticed my roommate has been waking up early. And by early, I mean like 5:30 a.m. She’s said she feels a lot better and more productive when she wakes up early during the week, and it’s something I’ve been trying (though I don’t get up quite as early as her) and enjoying. Here are some habits to get into to make your morning better and more productive.

Get up early and go to bed earlier.

Let’s face it, those hours that I spend laying in bed until 1 a.m. aren’t doing anything for me. When I go to bed earlier, I feel so much more well-rested and ready to start my day. It also helps me to get up earlier, which gives me more time to get things done.

Don’t check your phone first thing.

Not only can this lead to scrolling for longer than you mean to, but it can also harm your eyes! Instead of instantly grabbing the nearest technology, get up and start getting ready for your day. You can check Instagram after you’ve gotten up and around.

Take a shower or wash your face.

I’ve always been a person who showers in the morning. While it does mean that you have to get up earlier, it’s very refreshing and energizing to shower in the mornings. If you don’t have time for a full-blown shower or don’t want to change up your routine, try at least washing your face and going through your skincare routine.

Get your major tasks done before lunch.

This may be a hard thing to do based on your schedule, but I like to start working on things around 8:30 on the days that I don’t have class in the mornings. If I do that, I’m usually done with most of my work for the day by lunchtime! That allows me to have the rest of my day to get other things done and then relax and do whatever I feel like.

Eat or drink something.

Even if you’re not the biggest breakfast person, making a smoothie or having a glass of orange juice or water can help you feel refreshed.

Get moving.

Whether you do some stretches, yoga, or go for a run, do something to get your body moving. It will help you wake up quicker!

Rachel is a senior at Youngstown State University, majoring in Marketing with a minor in Advertising & PR. She was the founder of the Youngstown chapter of Her Campus and served as Campus Correspondent/President for 2.5 years. She now serves as the Campus Outreach Chair. She is also sister of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, where she serves as the Vice President of Programming. She is passionate about content creation and leaving a legacy in the organizations she is a part of. In her free time she enjoys traveling, spending time with friends, family, and her boyfriend, and shopping.