You’re Living Your Best Life: Wisdom From J. Cole’s “Love Yourz”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

*Lyrics have been edited to remove expletives*

A few months ago, I came across a song called “Love Yourz” by J. Cole, which came out almost 10 years ago. Most Hip-Hop songs are about sex, violence, money or drugs so when I heard this one, I was really tuned into the inspiring lessons that J. Cole raps about. 

The chorus repeats that there’s “No such thing as a life that’s better than yours.” This is coming from J. Cole, who knows fame and success – almost personally. J. Cole has won various awards for his music and is one of the best rappers of his generation. It’s insane to think that, unlike other rappers, he does not boast about his wealthy, lavish lifestyle as being something to strive for. Instead, he says that no life is better than the one you’re living. 

His verses go on to delve into this idea of appreciating the life that you’ve been blessed with by mentioning the “Beauty in the struggle, ugliness in the success.” Even in life’s imperfect moments, there’s something to learn and something to appreciate. It is also in these moments that we build character. I wouldn’t be who I am today without the struggles I had faced and I am eternally grateful for that.

It’s important to remember that J. Cole was not always rich and famous. He says,

“I grew up in the city and know sometimes we had less

Compared to some of my [friends] down the block, man, we were blessed”

Before he became a star, he had an upbringing in which money was always tight. Regardless, he looks back on those days fondly because despite everything, he had love and joy, which not everyone is privileged to have. 

Think back on your life. Do you have a home? Do you have food on the table? Do you have people that you can turn to? Do you feel that laughter and joy comes easily? 

All of these things are immense blessings. What more do you need?

In the same verse, he says:

“On the road to riches, listen, this is what you’ll find

The good news is … you came a long way

The bad news is … you went the wrong way

Think being broke was better”

Reflecting back on his career, he is saying that despite all of his accomplishments, he is still unsatisfied with his life. This sounds silly because he must have it all, right? Then again, life was so much simpler when he was “broke” and it’s the simplicity of life that is truly our greatest blessing.

For example, think about nature and how much joy that brings you. Think about the birds chirping, think about the seasons changing, think about flowing water and blowing leaves. Such a simple thing – yet such a blessing. 

Another example. Think about the people in your life – your family, your friends, neighbours and other people in your community, a random stranger who held the door open for you, etc. This connectivity is such a simple thing, but it is so meaningful. This connectivity looks different when you’re someone like J. Cole.

After the second chorus, he goes on to ask, “For what’s money without happiness? Or hard times without the people you love?” I love this line because I believe that true success is found in love and happiness. Having an overload of money does not equate to success, nor happiness. If anything, it’s a lonely existence to be insanely rich. I, personally, would much rather have a humble lifestyle if it means that I’m rich in love and joy.

My favourite part is near the end. He finishes off strong in saying, 

Always gon’ be a bigger house somewhere, but … feel me

‘Long as the people in that [place] love you dearly

Always gon’ be a whip that’s better than the one you got

Always gon’ be some clothes that’s fresher than the ones you rock

Always gon’ be a [woman] that’s badder out there on the tours

But you ain’t never gon’ be happy ‘til you love yours”

The idea is that you’ll never truly be happy with your life if you’re always in a state of comparing yourself to others. Theodore Roosevelt once said “Comparison is the thief of joy” and it’s so true. You’ll never be content with your life if you’re constantly measuring it against someone else’s. If you’re always thinking about what you don’t have, what you do have will go unnoticed. 

Don’t let that happen. Appreciate your life for what it is. Make the best out of it. Stop fixating on what you don’t have or what you could have and focus on what you DO have. I assure you that it’s probably still more than most people.

With that being said, there’s no such thing as a perfect life. No one gets by without feeling pain or struggle. No matter who you are and what you have, you will always face challenges because that is life. 

Life is solely about us, as humans, living, learning and growing. 

That’s right. I just reduced our existence to three jam-packed words.

Isabella (Bella) De Zilva is a part-time writer at the Her Campus at the York University chapter. Bella is interested in a wide range of topics, ranging from Wellness, to Fashion, as well as Life and Love. Aside from Her Campus, Bella is a full-time student at York University and is on-track to graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in the upcoming years. She has a variety of work experience, though nothing related to writing at the moment. Her most interesting work experience was acting as a TikTok influencer for a period of time. Her account (@booktokoclock) was trending on BookTok – a sector of TikTok which specializes in books and book recommendations. This connected her to well-known authors, such as Kendall Ryan, and well-established companies such as Penguin Teen and Book Of The Month. In Bella’s free time, she can be found curled up on the couch with a book in-hand. Her favourite genre is, and will always be, that of Romance. It’s a necessity to any books she reads. If she isn’t found with her nose in a book, Bella can be found doing one of many things: exercising, journaling, listening to music or podcasts, hanging out with her loved ones or trying new things.