This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

“Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”

~ Lao Tzu

It’s the pseudoscience that has been trending on every social media platform. Repeat after me: I don’t chase, I attract. What belongs to me will simply find me. Sound familiar? What you put out into the world, is what you’ll receive – or so they say. We’re told to manifest the tangible and have trust in the process. All this, however, doesn’t answer the question most pose; does it work, or is it just a hoax?

I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve had my doubts. It sounds too easy and too good to be true. That being said, we are in control of our very being, so maybe this method isn’t as crazy as it sounds. I’d like to emphasize that I am in no way an expert on manifestation or the Law of Attraction. When I Initially saw this trend on TikTok, I would simply scroll past it, never giving it a second glance. I never believed in the notion of manifestation or affirmation, but the more research I did on the topic, the less bizarre it began to sound.

Simply put, the Law of Attraction is the idea that we invite what we put out. To successfully use this law, begin by practicing mindfulness. Alter your mindset to one that focuses on the abundance of good things in your life, and simply watch more positive things come your way. Although this may sound effortless, it requires careful intention and action. Affirmative thinking and belief alone will not turn your wishes into your reality, they are however where you begin. It’s imperative that you acknowledge your goals and live in alignment with them. Put in the work and exercise patience. Good things take time.

There’s no denying that the Law of Attraction has captured my interest and despite my skepticism, I have given the whole idea a chance. Some believe it to be ridiculous and eccentric, others swear by it. Although I started as a skeptic, I have grown to have an appreciation for it. I am a firm believer that the energy you give is the energy you attract. Speaking from personal experience, doubt and negativity undeniably acts as a mental block. 

This type of mindset had not only left me feeling discouraged, but it was holding me back from reaching my full potential in anything that I had set out to do. Some may think that I’m peculiar by saying that shifting my mindset from that of scarcity to that of abundance truly did wonders. I found that leaning into a mindset that aligns with my desires, while acting accordingly is key.

How You Can Use the Law of Attraction

Begin by visualizing what you desire and keep that in mind to maintain your motivation. After acknowledging your aspiration, work on developing a positive and grateful mindset. Doing so will invite more abundance into your life. Alter your actions, as well as your habits so that they align with your desires. Be an active partaker in your life, since it is your story. Finally, refrain from a scarcity mindset, as this will only distract you from achieving your goals.

Whether we choose to believe or deny it, the Law of Attraction is always in motion. We are the authors of our own lives and are free to write it as we please.

Krizia is a part-time writer for York University's chapter in the Her Campus magazine. She is interested in a wide array of topics, including wellness, life, fashion, culture and career. As a full-time graduate student at York, she is attaining a Masters degree in English. Krizia has made many meaningful contributions to this chapter since she was previously part of the HC team during her undergraduate years.