bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Rise and Shine! Tips to Becoming a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Ugh there it is again, the sound of your alarm blaring beside you. Half asleep, you roll over and press that wonderful snooze button. This happens maybe one, two, or even three more times and before you know it you’re running late again. The morning is many people’s least favourite time of day because like most of us, they hate the process of getting up. But it doesn’t have to be so dreadful, waking up early can be a great way to start your day. Keep reading for tips on how you can become a morning person.

Get enough sleep!

The reason we hit the snooze button so many times is probably because we aren’t getting enough sleep. The average adult typically requires a good 6-8 hours, so if you are still feeling tired after waking up  it may be a sign that you need to adjust your bedtime. If you want to wake up feeling refreshed, not only do you need enough sleep, but it is important that it is uninterrupted. So make sure to put your phone on silent or do not disturb to silence any notifications that may disrupt your sleep cycles.

Don’t hit that snooze button

As tempting as it is, do not do it! If you want to wake up earlier, pressing this button is not the answer. It’s a bad habit that actually does more damage by making us feel groggier. There are now alarms such as Clocky, that roll around your room, forcing you to get up and catch it to turn it off – a sure way to get you up! Even placing your phone on the other side of your room where you can’t reach it is helpful. Whatever you do, just don’t hit snooze!

Use natural lighting

Letting natural light in is a great way to wake up because it sends your body the message that it’s time to get your day started. It’s also nice because it is not as abrupt as an alarm and will wake you up more naturally. So before you go to sleep open your blinds or curtains and let that natural sunrise regulate your circadian rhythms.

Wake up at the same time everyday

To become a morning person, you need to stick to a routine. This means waking up at the same time each day – even on weekends. As tough as it is, doing this will help your body adjust to a schedule which will make it easier to get up. Eventually you may not even need an alarm!

Have something to look forward to

One thing that can help make waking up early a little better is planning something that you look forward to! Whether it’s going to the gym, meeting up with friends, or reading a book, planning things you enjoy can act as motivation for you to want to get up. These can be small and simple things, but it will eventually get you on a schedule, where you can do all the things you may not have time for later in the day.

Becoming a morning person isn’t going to happen overnight, especially if you love sleeping in, but if you stick to these tips you’ll be there in no time! There are so many benefits to waking up early and having a consistent schedule. Not only does it make you feel better, but it also increases your productivity. Remember to set realistic goals for yourself in terms of the time you want to wake up. It may take some time to adjust, but you’ll be happy you did!

Photo by Jake Givens

Lian Griesi

York U '19

.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.