Returning Back to Campus Next Semester: An Annoying New Normal or a Golden Opportunity?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

I am sure we all have very mixed feelings about returning back to campus next semester. Ever since the university announced plans to return back in person to a maximum capacity, students and staff have had many questions, many of which haven’t been answered. 

As we’ve navigated this “new normal” of online school, many of us have adjusted to waking up 10 minutes before our classes instead of a couple hours from when we used to commute. We’ve become accustomed to chatting with classmates in breakout rooms as opposed to in a classroom, and have learned (if not mastered) the art of multitasking. For some, this “new normal” has taken a serious toll on mental health, social life, and academic progress. For others, it’s been an absolute joyride. 

In my opinion, returning back to campus has its pros and cons. On one hand, I’ll have the opportunity to see my friends more often, meet some of my work colleagues in person, and probably focus a little better in those classes that I seem to zone out in on Zoom. On the other hand, it may be more difficult for me to take time out for myself with commuting blocking off additional time in my day. It’ll be harder to resist making an unnecessary purchase as I walk through Central Square and of course, the amount of time I spend casually scrolling through social media will need to be drastically reduced.

While it’s important to look for the good in any given situation, it’s definitely easier said than done.. This is especially true when we’re forced to navigate and adapt to a change that we may not have willingly chosen. 

But one thing that returning back to campus has reminded me of is just how lucky we are to have the opportunity to engage in in-person learning altogether. We are so lucky to have the privilege of being able to learn in the classroom while many people around the world are still navigating the most harsh realities of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

When you spend too much time complaining about what could have been, you often lose sight of the importance of being grateful for what you already have. Rather than complaining about this change, make the best of it. Consider it as a blessing, an opportunity to get out of your bed (literally) and out into the world. An opportunity to meet new people, develop your social skills, be a more attentive and motivated student, and exercise! 

No matter how you choose to tackle next semester, I wish you all the best. Take it step by step, know your limits, and always remember… April is just a few months away!

Riya Bhatla was a part of Her Campus’ York University Chapter from 2020 to 2024. During her time at HCYU, she served as both a Writer and Campus Correspondent. She is now certified to teach high school in Ontario and is pursuing a Master's Degree at the University of Toronto! She is also contributing to a research project that is investigating the “lived experiences of the first Master’s degree recipients at a refugee camp in Dadaab, Kenya.” In her free time, Riya loves going on walks with her dog Kobe, bingeing Scandal, and going for Friday night Karaoke at a local pub.