The Perfect Valentine’s Day Desserts: Vegan and Non-Vegan Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

When it comes to holidays, of any kind, my mind always jumps to, “what can I bake for this occasion?” For me, celebrations always call for desserts and with Valentine’s Day upon us, I have compiled a list of vegan and non-vegan recipes for the best Valentine’s Day desserts that suit any kind of celebration.

Strawberry Shortcake

This cake is sweet, classy, and full of love — just like you! Bake this classic cake for that special someone in your life. They say, the way to your lover’s heart is through their stomach, and this dessert will not disappoint! Try this Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe by Caitlin of Plant Well. Alternatively, check out Food Network Canada chef Ricardo Larrivée’s non-vegan recipe (The Best) Strawberry Shortcake.

Chocolate Mousse

Chocolate is always a good choice for Valentine’s Day, right? Right! Treat yourself to this heavenly chocolate dessert or share it with a partner. The best part is that both of these recipes are made of only three ingredients, an easy recipe to follow for all the beginner bakers out there. Check out Vegan Chocolate Mousse, a recipe by Lisa of Okomoni Kitchen. For a non-vegan recipe, here’s 3-Ingredient Mason Jar Chocolate Mousse by Ashley Fehr of The Recipe Rebel.

Mini Berry Cheesecakes

Hosting a Leslie Knope-style Galentine’s Day party? Then these mini cheesecakes are the perfect way to show your gals you love them. Each mini cake is sweet and a little sassy with that punch of berry in ‘em. Try Ashley’s Mini Ricotta Cheesecakes recipe from her blog, Baker by Nature, or the non-vegan Mini Lemon Blueberry Cheesecakes recipe by Danielle of Live Well, Bake Often.

Rainbow Cake

This one’s for the lovers that know no limits! Get creative by decorating the cake with multi-colored frosting and sprinkles or ice the cake entirely white so your partner can cut open to a surprise! Here’s Katarina of Dolled Up Desserts’ recipe for a vegan (and gluten free) Naked Rainbow Pride Cake. And for a non-vegan option, here’s the Rainbow Layer Cake recipe by Betty Crocker.

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Bake these love-colored cupcakes with and for the friends you love. You’ll have a blast decorating them together with a cheesy classic Valentine’s movie playing in the background. For that yummy vegan goodness, try Alison Andrews’ Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe from Loving It Vegan. For a non-vegan alternative, try Kelsie’s Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes from her blog, The Itsy-Bitsy Kitchen.

Whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day alone, with friends, a significant other, or not celebrating at all, I guarantee these desserts will turn out perfectly if you remember to include the one most important ingredient of all: LOVE.

Lisa is a former writer, executive member, and Chapter Leader of Her Campus at York U. She graduated from York University in 2021 with a BA in Anthropology. She is a Kappa Phi Xi alumni and is currently pursuing a Paralegal studies accelerated diploma at Seneca College.
Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.