This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Unfortunately, something that has become a common habit amongst most is neglecting the well-being of our mental health and dare-I-say ‘souls.’ We have become so preoccupied with our daily routines and the expectations that follow that we cease to pause and prioritize ourselves oftentimes.

I think one of the most effective strategies one could use to ensure they prioritize our their well-being, is setting boundaries because otherwise people end up taking away too much. When we cease to set boundaries for people, we end up neglecting our own needs and desires. We give too much of our energy, time, love, care, and attention and as long as we keep giving it, people will continue to expect more of it. 

Not being able to set appropriate boundaries has caused me a great deal of stress and emotional turbulence in the past, and although I have managed to improve upon it, I have yet to firmly do this without hesitation and consequences. Not setting boundaries in the past has caused me to internalize my negative emotions. This caused a tremendous amount of anxiety as a result of my desire to fulfill other people’s expectations of me.

Setting boundaries is a way to ensure that a person’s needs are valued under any circumstance – that being boundaries set among friends, school or work. Setting boundaries is a way to ensure that people are seen as individuals as opposed to desensitized machines. I know from personal experience that setting these boundaries can be difficult, especially if you’re a person that doesn’t like to say no to people.

I also do not think it is realistic to assume that these boundaries should be strict or definite. However, some sense of control over our boundaries is an indication that we value our own time, just as others should.

Naturally, this does not just apply to other people. I think we all need to be cautious of setting boundaries for ourselves too. It’s important to allocate the necessary time to activities that bring us joy, in order to ensure that our ‘souls are being fed’. It goes without saying that it’s also necessary to ensure that an appropriate balance is maintained.

It's me, Mojan. I'm a psychology major, currently also minoring in philosophy. I've always had a strong passion for writing so I'm glad that HerCampus has given me the opportunity to be able to share my thoughts and experiences with people.