Black And Anxious Hero
Black And Anxious Hero
Rebecca Hoskins / Her Campus Media

Making “Herstory”: Inspirational Black Women in the York U Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Trigger Warning: This article includes conversations surrounding suicide.

February is Black History Month. It’s a month dedicated to celebrating Black excellence, educating ourselves about historical and present-day injustices, and making a conscious effort to amplify the voices of Black people while advocating for social change. 

We are living during a time where sharing stories is more critical than ever before because it gives us the opportunity to learn more about each other so we can appreciate our differences and take note of what we have in common. As a writer for Her Campus at York University, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to learn more about inspirational Black women on our campus and share their stories using this platform. I hope (in fact, I know!) that you will gain valuable insight from each of them. 

Sofinari 
musician Sofinari
Original photo by Sofinari

Sofinari is a third-year Global Political Studies major at York, who is passionate about music. She also enjoys dancing and engaging in conversations surrounding politics and humanitarian issues. Sofinari is a talented songwriter and aspiring musician. Her dream is to tour the world and release albums for people to enjoy. Be sure to check out her latest single “Karma,” and her E.P. coming out later this year! She will also be performing at a showcase called “Black Star.” DM her for information on tickets!

Quote Sofinari Lives By: “Don’t speak over Black people. It’s rude.” 

There is no doubt that we are living through a very difficult time. As a Black woman, do you ever feel like you have to be a constant advocate? How do you deal with the “labour” involved with social activism? 

Right now, as a Black woman, I do feel like I constantly need to advocate. However, with the BLM movement, which had a big resurgence in the summer, I find myself getting very exhausted. I learned  that you can’t be an activist all the time. You do need to take some time for yourself; taking a social media break or taking care of yourself (skincare!) can go a long way. 

You have a very strong presence on social media. How do you stay true to yourself when everyone is watching? How do you combat performativity?

I sometimes find myself second-guessing how authentic I’m being online. But at the end of the day, it’s all about knowing yourself and your own boundaries. Everything you post and every interaction you have online emulates what you believe in. I definitely don’t want to come across as a person that is disrespectful or disingenuous. Most people can see through fakeness so you might as well just be yourself. I try to do little Instagram lives so that people can see my true emotions and ask me questions. It’s all about encouraging authenticity and less filters so that we can connect with each other a little more meaningfully. As long as you stay true to you and your beliefs, you’re blessed! 

What does Black History Month mean to you? 

Black History Month shows that Blackness is more than just the same three stories we’ve been told at school. There were not a lot of Black people in my elementary school. We weren’t even the majority in my high school. I only learned about people like Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, and Martin Luther King. Black history was taught on the surface level. But Black History Month gives Black activists a platform and it shows that history doesn’t just live in the past. We are making history right now. 

What is your favourite thing about being a part of the York U community? 

For me, it’s the diversity and dedication to providing a fulfilling experience outside of the classroom. I’m part of the college system as VP Operations for McLaughlin College and I love the fact that you can find a family at York. I’ve had so many people give me such valuable tips and tricks and I think people really overlook the social aspct of university. I can confidently say that York does the best job at that. I just love the vibe and inclusive environment and how we are all dedicated to multiculturalism. I took part in Multicultural Week. It was an amazing experience. Those are the types of experiences that you’ll remember when you leave. The bonds you make and the lessons you learn; they stay with you for the rest of your life. 

Sneet Samuel 
Sneet Samuel
Photo by Emmanuel Ashun

Sneet is a proud Eritrean and fifth-year Health Studies student here at York. As a health and fitness enthusiast who uses her platform to share valuable health and wellness tips and tricks, Sneet is not only a Certified Personal Trainer, but also a community leader who has taken part in many York U events and initiatives. She is interested in working in the healthcare industry in a legal or political capacity and is looking forward to further developing her personal health and fitness brand.

Quote Sneet Lives By: “Everything happens for a reason.”

In my opinion, staying true to yourself involves showing both the good and the bad. From a health and fitness lens, this involves sharing your ups, like when you’ve hit a new personal record, and when you’ve hit a low. For me, my surgery was a low point in my fitness career. I was forced to take a step back from all the heavy lifting, and went from working out everyday to going through rehabilitation and watching my strength fade away. I literally had to build it back from the jump. But I posted about my surgery on social media and I was very open and honest about my experience. That’s one thing that is very important for athletes or people in the fitness industry to understand. There are highs and there are lows, but if you have the right mindset, you can definitely turn it around. 

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be? 

I would definitely describe myself as driven. Whether it’s work, graduating from university despite all the challenges, making it through surgery and rehab, or getting through any obstacle for that matter, I always try my best to reach a positive outcome. The older I’ve gotten, the more driven I’ve been to accomplish all my goals no matter what lies in my way. 

What are some challenges you’ve faced and how did you overcome them? 

During the strike at York, I lost two jobs. My family and I really needed that additional source of income, so I decided to take on some extra hours at my job and find myself another one. Another challenge I faced was my surgery. I knew that now was the time to do it because of COVID-19 and I would be able to get through rehab while everything is closed. Although university hasn’t been easy and a lot of challenges have been thrown my way, I’ve definitely become a stronger person throughout the process. I am so blessed to have such a strong support system, basic necessities, and a roof over my head. I never had to stress over any of that and for that I’ll be forever grateful. 

What I love most about York is how there are so many things going on for people from all walks of life. It is very important that universities with this platform provide outlets for students to feel welcome and included. That feeling of togetherness is definitely the best part of being a university student. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to experience that and it has definitely made me feel a sense of comfort. 

What is the most meaningful memory that you shared at York?

It’s so hard to pick just one! I loved all the Frosh Weeks; I was a participant once and a leader twice. I also really enjoyed Welcome Weeks and Multicultural Weeks. There are so many events that happened that I honestly don’t think I’ll ever forget. I’m going to miss York when I graduate for sure.

Isabella Kuol
Isabella Kuol
Original photo by Isabella Kuol

Isabella is a 19-year-old Virgo who is enrolled at York with an undeclared major. Aside from her biggest goal to become a certified makeup artist, Isabella loves to paint (although she claims that she isn’t a Picasso!) because she considers it to be quite therapeutic. Organizing things also brings her joy but you won’t find her organizing her room… according to her, that stays a mess!

Quote Isabella Lives By: “Get your money up and not your funny up!”

I do feel like I have to be a constant advocate and show my advocacy on the regular because if I don’t, who will? This year especially, I realized how crucial it is that we educate each other. I would love to see change in our communities, and it is important for me to speak up and share stories to spark meaningful conversation. Social activism is definitely challenging because there is always that fear that you may say the wrong thing or offend someone unintentionally. It can be very mentally and emotionally exhausting because a lot of the topics are quite heavy. But at the end of the day, you know you’ve done a good thing, whether you helped a small group of people or a large group of people, and that you spoke your truth. Hopefully, this will encourage others to as well. 

I stay true to myself by constantly telling myself that my life is my own to live. What I choose to do and post is completely up to me, and after going through a stage of self-doubt and wanting to be like other people, I destroyed my mental health. I tried to change myself to fit the standards of others and thought low of myself. I’m so fortunate to have such supportive friends that helped me learn the importance of taking negative opinions lightly. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I know myself and my intentions. However, it’s also important to recognize that when everyone is watching on social media, you will inevitably be a slightly altered version of yourself…that’s just how it is. You produce content for a specific audience or outcome. But as long as you stay true to yourself and don’t focus on pleasing others, the right audience will come to you. Post what you’re comfortable posting (not what you think other people would like) and always tell yourself that you’re enough. 

Black History Month is not just about recognizing the past, but also about celebrating Black life and the victories we won as a collective. We can come together and share our stories, personal experiences, talents, and strengths. It’s a month to tell each other how much we matter and how much our experiences matter. The past year has been tragic and painful for the Black community with the death of George Floyd (may he rest in power), the Black Lives Matter protests, and all the stories of deaths of Black lives. This month really is a moment to deeply reflect upon how far we’ve come as a community while also recognizing how far we can go if we continue to work together and show love to one another. I truly love being a Black woman and am so inspired, proud and thankful for a month that celebrates people like me. 

I would say I’m extroverted. I’m someone who is very social and into meeting new people. When it comes to social situations, I’m naturally able to communicate and socialize. I do get nervous but I’ve become good at hiding it. When you see me, I’m just out there! 

Aminat Arigbabu
Aminat Arigbabu
Photo by Levaughan Hyman

Aminat is a psychology major at York, who has an avid interest in community work. She has always found satisfaction in giving back and engaging in a process of learning and unlearning from the people around her. She sees immense value in sharing knowledge and stories and takes pride in her identity as a Black Muslim woman.

Quote Aminat Lives By: “Inshallah” / “By God’s Grace.”

I definitely would say, being a Black-female identifying person, even before the pandemic and before the incidents in the U.S. and here in the GTA, I felt like I constantly had to advocate and take up space. For someone like me, space is not allowed. There was a time when someone told me I had four strikes against me: “One you’re Black, two you’re female, three your Muslim, and four you don’t have a filter.” It’s a problem for a lot of people that I don’t back down, but I will always stay true to myself and say what I want as long as I know that it is the right thing. 

I recognize what Black History Month was built upon but nowadays, it has become very performative. You’d think this would be a time for people to pay Black people more, especially if you’re asking us to organize and speak at your events. This is an opportunity to pour money into the community, but instead, Black History Month “celebrations” often result in us reliving past trauma. We live in an age where Google is at your fingertips; there is no need to tell stories about why everything is going on, why Black Lives Matter exists, etc. There is evidence you cannot deny…we’ve seen the death and the hashtags. Black History Month is an opportunity to see if the people around you are actually supporting Black businesses and taking part in difficult conversations. We don’t need performative energy and it’s important that we take this time to reeducate and regroup for the rest of the year. 

I feel like I’m facing challenges every single day, especially during the pandemic. This new normal has opened my eyes to a lot of different things. But I’ve overcome these personal challenges by not feeding into negative energy and using unfortunate circumstances to better myself. You cannot get hit by something and stay stagnant…try your best to either take it and allow it to water you or burn it. 

Honestly, I think every year is a memory. My first memory of York U was showing up in the middle of Frosh Week not knowing that Frosh Week was a thing. Calumet College took me in right away, I spent four days with these amazing people, and I became much more confident. My frosh leader encouraged me to be more open and meet everyone and I’ve been close with them ever since. Going to the student centre, using my voice to stand up against President Rhonda Lenton, participating in rallies and protests, spending time with the student union, and all the rest… my time at York has literally been a scrapbook! 

Rachel Sybblis
Rachel Haley
Original photo by Rachel Haley

Rachel is in her third-year at York and enjoys playing the piano, being creative through art, and playing soccer. She is a leader in the York U community who is pursuing a career as a model and actress in the entertainment industry.

Quote Rachel Lives By: “Create the life that you believe you deserve.”

Honestly, sometimes it does feel that way and it gets tiring to a point where I’ve come to believe that it’s not my job to educate people on Black issues or the Black experience. There is so much information available on the internet and it’s so easy to educate yourself. At this point, if you don’t do that, you’re just choosing not to. Also, it can be quite triggering to ask your friends, especially during times like last year when protests were happening everywhere, about what it means to be Black. It was traumatic for Black people to go on Twitter and see violence and death everywhere. Asking people to educate you is very insensitive. 

It is very easy to be performative on social media. I would’ve loved it if it was just me, my friends, and spam vibes! But for the career I’m pursuing, my Instagram is very important. I have to present myself in a certain way, which can be kind of tiring. Everyone portrays themselves as perfect but if you can still be the most authentic you while remaining professional, people will relate to you more and like your content more. Whether it be through your stories, captions, or comments, showing real aspects of yourself can help increase that sense of relatability. 

Black History Month definitely means a lot to me. I grew up in Red Deer, Alberta and there were not a lot of Black people and nobody really spoke [about] Black History Month. Now that I do know about it, it’s great to have a time that is directed towards the uplifting of Black people and educating the public. Yes, slavery is over, but there are so many institutional and systematic impacts that we have to be aware of. Celebrating Black people is really nice because in general, we are not recognized in all the fields and communities we contribute to. It’s kind of nice to have a month that’s just for us. The rest of the year, you’re really learning about white men’s history. Black history is not taught to the extent it should be so it is important that we go out and learn ourselves. 

I have faced several challenges in the model industry. A lot of agencies did not want to sign me because I’m shorter and I often experienced problems with hair and makeup. People didn’t know how to do my hair or I had to show up with my own makeup done. There definitely needs to be more representation of Black people in the industry. We want to see more Black people behind the scenes; photographers, creative directors, hair and makeup artists. It’s super important! 

Faisa Ali 
Faisa Ali
Original photo by Faisa Ali

Faisa is currently in her final year studying Psychology. She enjoys playing sports, being active and spending time with her friends (virtual ATM!). Having a passion to help others, Faisa knows that she wants to pursue a career in the nursing field or paramedics field so that she can make a difference.

Quote Faisa Lives By: “As long as you’ve done your best, making mistakes doesn’t matter. You and I are human; we will mess up. What counts is learning from your mistakes and getting back up when life has knocked you down.” – Shawn Johnson

The first thing I think about before I post anything on my story or feed is whether or not I’m comfortable posting it and if it can be perceived in a negative way. Growing up, I didn’t have too many friends. I was the nerd that also liked to play sports… there weren’t a lot of people who I could relate to. I’ve always tried to fit in and be like everyone else and I was often bullied because I was different. However, those experiences made me into the person I am today. I am much more confident in my individuality and my abilities. I learned that not everyone is going to like you or have the same mindset as you so it’s important to stay true to yourself because that’s honestly the only thing that matters. 

To me, Black History Month is a time to reflect on everything our ancestors did to get us where we are today. It means being thankful and also taking advantage of an opportunity to learn more about the people that fought for us. 

If I could describe myself in one word, it would be ambitious. I take every opportunity to learn from the people around me and better myself, whether it be through developing my knowledge or enhancing my skills. I like to take what I learned and apply it towards helping others in my community.  

The biggest challenge I’ve faced was when I was 19 years old. I contemplated committing suicide. My dad left my life and I started to withdraw from everyone after feeling alone. I got involved around campus but I felt like I had taken on too much. I overcame this difficult time by thinking about the people that mean the most to me. I thought about my mom and how much we relied on each other for a support system. I learned that I can be tough but I can’t be afraid to ask for help or talk to someone. The happiest people can be going through something that no one else knows about, which is why it’s important to be kind to anyone you meet. 

My most meaningful memory at York that I will probably keep with me forever is heading over to Tait Mackenzie (the gym) for the first time. I didn’t know anyone but I felt so welcome. I played sports I had never heard of and I was so bad at them but everyone kept cheering me on. That was the moment I knew that York would become my home for the next 5 years. 

If learning more about these phenomenal women has taught me anything, it’s that the Black experience cannot be generalized or simplified. Each of these women come from different backgrounds, have different talents and interests, and inspire people like me in different ways. 

I encourage you to continue to learn more about others and remember that Black History Month is every month. We all have a responsibility to educate ourselves and take action so that we can move, together, towards a more inclusive world.

Riya Bhatla was a part of Her Campus’ York University Chapter from 2020 to 2024. During her time at HCYU, she served as both a Writer and Campus Correspondent. She is now certified to teach high school in Ontario and is pursuing a Master's Degree at the University of Toronto! She is also contributing to a research project that is investigating the “lived experiences of the first Master’s degree recipients at a refugee camp in Dadaab, Kenya.” In her free time, Riya loves going on walks with her dog Kobe, bingeing Scandal, and going for Friday night Karaoke at a local pub.