brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Her Campus Profile: Lisa Marie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Get to know one of our lovely Her Campus social media team members: Lisa Marie Dela Cruz! Lisa is 21, majors in anthropology and lives in Vaughan. Keep reading to know more than a just glimpse about her!

Name: Lisa Marie Dela Cruz    

Age: 21

Major: Anthropology

City: Vaughan

Position at Her Campus: Social media team member

What are three interesting facts about yourself?

I write poetry. I’ve attempted (and failed) to become a YouTuber at least three times now, lol. I am a certified eyelash extension technician!

What would you name your boat if you had one?

Ouu I love boat rides! I would name it after my dog, Kobe, who ironically doesn’t like water very much, haha.

What is your greatest strength?

I would say my greatest strength is my ability to empathize with others.

If you could have personally witnessed anything, what would you want to have seen?

I wish I could have personally witnessed my parents getting married on May 7th, 1988. I think it would have been really cool to witness the commitment of love that brought me here.

What type of music do you listen to? (Genre, artists, songs)

Frank Ocean is someone I’ve never grown tired of! My favorite song of his is Self Control. I also love Lana Del Rey, The Notorious B.I.G, and Jhené Aiko. I’m always down for some Ariana Grande and Halsey, and I definitely have a special place in my heart for some good ol’ late 90s/early 2000s R&B. (I also love One Direction, lol)

What is your favorite word? Least favorite word?

Fave word: juxtaposition. Least favorite word: literally — only because I couldn’t pronounce it properly growing up and it was also one of the words I used to stammer on as a kid.

If you could retire tomorrow, what would you do?

Oh man, I actually have an ongoing joke with my parents that I’m just ready to retire right now as if I’ve been working for 30 years already, ahaha! But if I actually could retire tomorrow, I would probably book a vacation and start my tour of the world.

What will you never do?

I would never do what I know is wrong even if it’s the easier way to go about it.

If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?

Hmm… I would say my ability to start new things or come up with new ideas and never follow through with them, hahaha. I’m always excited to try and do new things but sometimes I never finish the task or project because I get distracted with new ideas. So I would say my ambition would make me rich, but my follow-through would put me in debt (lol).

What life lesson did you learn the hard way?

Something I had to learn hard way is that I have to take responsibility for my own life and especially my own mental health. It’s easy to get to that point where you’re just so tired that you want someone else to take care of you but the truth is, only you can help yourself in ways nobody else can. You will have people in your life that will help you pave the way or fix a flat tire but at the end of the day, there will always be one part of your life that only you can fix. That doesn’t mean you need to be on this journey alone, but it does mean you need to be the one in the driver’s seat.

We are lucky to have such lovely, intellectual and strong women like Lisa join Her Campus YorkU. This is what makes it a special place: our team members and of course the lovely person reading this right now — yes, you!

Interested in joining a group of amazing girls like Lisa? Click one of our links below to contact us. We are always looking to expand our community and this could mean YOU!

Email: york-u@hercampus.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hcyorku/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hcyorku/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hcyorku/

All photos are courtesy of Lisa Marie Dela Cruz

Full-time psychology student, part- time poet. In love with words since the age of 11. Enjoys expressing myself and talking about things that matter.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.