This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Music. Literature. Theatre. Painting. Dancing. 

What do they all have in common? They are all different forms of art. Art is a way of expressing yourself. Not many people can express themselves through art, but those who do portray emotion and power in their work.

Emotions in an ideal environment produce feelings that flow naturally. However, they frequently become clogged. Expressing emotions via art is a fantastic method to get those sentiments out before they go too deep and cause other issues.

For me, dance is the art form that I feel free in.

The great thing about dancing is that it can be done professionally and non-professionally. You can dance with or without music. You can dance with or without someone. It’s such a versatile art form which is unique itself.

Dance is beautiful as you are using your own body to create, move, and express. The great thing about this art is that you don’t need any outside object to do it. You can dance at any time and anywhere – as long as you have your soul and mind connected to your body, you can express and move however you’d like.

Getting started might be the most difficult part. “Art is theft,” Pablo Picasso once stated. While each piece of dance is unique, the inspirations are similar. However, you are not required to create an original work. All you need to do is relate to a method.

Although everyone’s motives differ, many people say that dancing allows them to reach their buried realities. The same is true for me. Everything seemed to be coming apart in my life at one time. And a chance to express my emotions presented itself in front of me. For my dance class, I had to design an original solo choreography. Not only did this allow me to produce art out of my devastated feelings, but it also allowed me to freely express myself without fear of condemnation because all of my resentment was just part of the performance. After that, I felt lighter, like if I had released the feelings that had been building up inside of me for so long.

Moreover, it was said to be one of my best solo contemporary choreographies! I couldn’t be much more proud of myself as I turned something negative into something positive. That will always be memorable to me.

Dance may help us connect with the genuine brilliance hiding behind the mask of societal convention, which can sometimes block us from connecting with certain elements of ourselves. Which is the reality of many dancers. Whether it be happy or sad, dance is just a way for dancers to release their emotions.

Maintain your positive attitude and stay true to yourself because when it’s time, you will know when and where to express your art. And no one (and I seriously mean no one) can stop you from expressing yourself through dance.

Once you get involved in the world of dance, the people you are surrounded by become one big family. It feels like a dance family because everyone’s motive is the same – channeling emotions into a positive outlet. There’s immense love, respect, and constructive criticism, all how your own family would treat you when dealing with real life scenarios. 

Dancers and dances have become social emblems of liberty. Freedom, whether societal or personal, has been a common ultimate goal. Dance liberates the spirit. Dance may be utilised to produce a sensation of freedom, which manifests as confidence and a sense of enlarged possibilities and progress. As long as they keep exercising, healthy dancers experience increased agility and mental alertness as they age. A mix of spontaneous movement and taught sequences appears to reach the ideal balance of spirit liberation.

I love to dance. I can express myself freely and have control over my entire body, which gives me confidence in my ability to do anything. Dance enables us to let go of things that are bothering us, whether we are aware of them or not. 

I believe there is a secret that dancers are unaware of that explains why we feel the way we do when we dance. Maybe science has an explanation, but all I know is that dancing is who I am. 

Through dancing, I am who I am. I feel like I’m from another planet, accomplishing tremendous things yet being pushed to new heights in my comfort zone.

Maybe you can try out dancing too or another form of art. Whatever it may be, all I say is that when you do that form, make sure you feel free. Freedom from this reality is the only word to describe art to you that resonates the most.

Hi everyone! My name is Muskaan, I am one of the newly joined writers, here at Her Campus. I'm so proud to be part of this community!