A First Year, An International Student And The Transition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Being a first-year university student is a whole package of its own and it does call for a transition to open that package. That package is, of course, easier for some people to open than others. In any case, there will be something you have to adjust to simply because you are in a different place or stage of life. It’s like jumping from one life adventure to the next. One thing to remember is that it’s not the first time you’ve had to go through a transition and that it most definitely won’t be your last.

Combining being an international student to being a first-year is obviously not easy and you consequently have more to adjust to. A new environment, a new university, new people and so many other factors. You might even have to adjust to a new system of education and learning. I’m sure we can all bring our lists to the table. What we need to do is to make the most out of our experiences and our lives. Know that you are learning, and be open-minded. Challenge yourself and your experiences. Leave your comfort zone. Explore yourself and your programs of study. 

Photo via Unsplash

This is the time to make mistakes and learn from them. It’s important that you’re happy in your field and with what you are studying. Make sure that it’s what you want to do. Take good care of the energy around you. Being a first-year is definitely not easy but it’s also not an excuse.  

Every now and then, in our lives, we’ve had to adjust to one situation or another. Another thing to remember, though, is to take it one step at a time. Avoid trying to take more steps than you can handle all at once.

Photo via Unsplash

But here is the thing: you should not let your feelings be your judge. Everything does not have to feel exciting. Things can simply be what they are. Make use of your resources, and allow yourself to go through the process and its hardships. Do not pressure yourself, do not overthink. If you are going through a tough time, allow yourself to go through it because this is your transition and it is supposed to be challenging, yet also rewarding, so allow yourself the chance to go through the process and to ultimately grow from it.

Photo via Unsplash

I’m Bernice Danjuma, first year student at York University. I’m from Nigeria .I recently moved to canada to further my education and I’m a proud member of her campus!
Averie Severs is one of the Her Campus CC's for the York U chapter. She is a film production major with a focus in documentary filmmaking.