This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

I am currently facing a new change in my life. This new change is something that I have been hoping and pursuing for about six months now. I have been chasing this big change for a long time, trying to step outside of my comfort zone and expand my capabilities. Before this change, I felt myself slowly slipping into an unproductive and inefficient routine that no longer fulfilled me.

Woman placing sticky notes on wall in office meeting
Photo by You X Ventures from Unsplash

This new change was a work opportunity in a field, much more closely related to my own field of study.

Yet somehow, a couple of hours after having received the call about the new change, I could not help but worry. I began to stress about the long commute, the possibility that the job could be illegitimate, unsafe or the wrong use of my time. Then I tried to convince myself that I was happy at my old job and asked myself whether I really need to be making this change right now, when everything else is so hectic. 

Lightbox on chair that reads \"think outside the box\"
Photo by Nikita Kachanovsky from Unsplash

The truth is that it is a common tendency we all have as human beings. No matter how adventurous or not we might be, change is always a foreign and scary thought. And most of the time, the changes we face affects us for the better because staying still in one place is neither possible nor beneficial for anyone. However, knowing this doesn’t make accepting the change any easier. If you’re someone like me, before you settle down and become comfortable in any new situation, thousands of doubtful thoughts go through your head convincing you to be happy with what you already have.

white ceramic mug on table
Photo by Danielle MacInnes from Unsplash

I think we all know however, that the most admirable option is not letting our fear of change stop us from growing and pushing past the boundaries we set for ourselves. This way, no matter the outcome, your path will no longer stay the same and you’ll feel better knowing that at least you tried.

“Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.” -John Maxwell

It's me, Mojan. I'm a psychology major, currently also minoring in philosophy. I've always had a strong passion for writing so I'm glad that HerCampus has given me the opportunity to be able to share my thoughts and experiences with people.
Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!