This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Especially during this unusual time, our skin may be needing some extra TLC (tender, loving care) due to stress, hormonal, or mask acne, dry skin, or just a need to refresh and redefine the way we do our skincare. Though trying new face products or adjusting old products might seem daunting at first, creating a skincare routine can be a beneficial aspect of one’s life. It helps one take care of their skin and keep it healthy. Making a skincare routine can also help one create a habit in their life. Though it’s only a small aspect of one’s day, having this pattern of doing your skincare when you wake up and before bed can help you start and end your days with a bit of self-care. This will help you improve both mentally and physically. It is difficult to know where to begin when picking what products can work for you. But there are many resources you can turn to that can help, such as trusted friends, the internet, and turning to a dermatologist, which can be greatly effective. Below are a few examples of products to incorporate when putting together a skincare routine.

Moisturizer 

You should moisturize every single morning! Even if you are too tired to do any other skincare routine steps, moisturizing is too important to miss. Moisturizing helps the skin feel and look healthier, prevents dryness, and acne and has many other benefits. Moisturizing in the morning is a great way to wake you and your skin and prepare it for the day ahead, and moisturizing at night can help protect your skin while you sleep. 

Some recommendations……. 

Lush Cosmetic Cosmetic Lad Moisturizer

This is a cruelty-free and vegan product. Cosmetic Lad has ingredients such as aloe vera, lavender, honey, water, and almond oil which helps hydrate and calm the skin.

Simple Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturizer 

This is a fragrance-free hydrating moisturizer great for a variety of skin types. Simple brand is a great line when looking for new products to try.

Cleanser 

Using a cleanser that is right for your skin type can be incredibly beneficial in maintaining healthy and glowing skin. Cleansing the skin can remove any excess makeup, dead skin, dirt, and oil. This product can be used in the morning as the first product you use on your face and following it with the rest of your skincare products, or at night after you’ve taken off your make-up. 

Some recommendations….. 

CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser 

Anything that I have tried from the CeraVe line has been excellent. This facial cleanser does not disappoint. This is great to use in the morning and at night, is fragrance-free, and is not harsh on the skin. The ingredients in this cleanser help clean your skin and target acne. 

Simple Kind to Skin Foaming Cleanser 

This is a gentle cleanser to use on the skin. It is moisturizing and fragrance-free, making it an excellent option as a cleanser to easily make your skin feel clean and refreshed.

Sonic Brush 

This is a product that I only just added to my skin routine. For me, it helps, but that might not be the case for everyone; it may be a product that you only use at night, or you may find it too rough for your skin all together. However, a sonic face brush can be incredibly beneficial by keeping your skin extra clean from dirt, oil, and makeup. You can use the sonic brush by adding your preferred cleanser with it and working into your skin. 

A recommendation…. 

Olay Regenerist Face Brush 

This brush helps to make your skin feel clean and fresh and helps free your pores. It comes with replaceable tops that you can switch out occasionally to make sure you are being as sanitary and hygienic as possible.

Toner 

Toner is a way to help remove excess makeup and dirt, moisturize and protect your skin. Toner is best applied after cleanser and before moisturizer and can be used twice a day if it feels right for your skin (if not once or even every other day). 

Some recommendations….. 

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Triple-Action Toner

This toner helps to fight acne and makes the skin feel refreshed. It’s useful for making sure that dirt, oil and makeup are off your skin. 

Vitamin E Hydrating Toner From The Body Shop

This toner makes your skin feel calm and refreshed while doing all the things a toner should do. It is hydrating, vegetarian, and an excellent option for all skin types.

Makeup Remover 

Finding a good makeup remover can help improve your skin. As easy as makeup wipes are, to gently take care of skin and treat it better, you, unfortunately, need to step away from them (at least for a majority of the time) because of how harsh they can be on your skin and strip naturally occurring oils. Finding a more effective option can help to prevent breakouts and damage to your skin. A good alternative is makeup-removing balms and oil makeup removers. These options are most gentle on the skin and remove makeup products more efficiently. 

A recommendation….. 

Chamomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter From The Body Shop 

This makeup removing option is a buttery balm that can be used with a face towel. Not only is it a gentle and effective makeup remover, but also an environmentally conscious one too. This is a vegan product that is gentle and nourishes the skin when removing makeup.

Most importantly, you must do what is best for you and what makes you feel the best when creating and maintaining a skincare routine. Though there may be pressure to have a well thought out and extensive morning and nighttime skin routine, that’s just overblown. Simply starting to incorporate one or two products can be remarkably effective. Doing what’s right for your skin is what will make your skin feel the best and healthiest it can be.

Amelia is originally from New York and moved to Toronto to attend York University. She is in her final year of obtaining a degree in Psychology and plans to go on to pursuing her teaching degree next. Among Amelia's passion for writing, she is also a coffee lover who will pet any dog she sees.
Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!