A Number of Healthy Habits to Implement Before The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Did you know that some of the most successful people in the world, including business people, athletes, and spiritual leaders, trace their success to striving to follow a routine more than anything else? It is beneficial to alter our thought processes and elevate our mindsets to find wholeness and reach our full potential. Here is a list of must-have habits to implement in your daily life. Developing a new routine and finding ways to avoid procrastination can become an asset to one’s life and become one of the best ways to head into the new year. 

be present!

To begin with, you must stop staring at a blue light as soon as you wake up. Stop checking your phone first thing in the morning! I am aware of the difficulty of this. When you wake up, close your eyes for ten minutes while preferably seated…simply relax and listen. Meditation is a key habit to involve yourself in. Along the journey, take deep breaths to clear your thoughts completely. Imagine how you want your day to proceed while you consider what you hear, how you feel, and more. Although it’s beneficial to have peace and quiet, experienced meditators can find ways to implement their technique anywhere they go. When you glow you grow! As a result, when you have a positive outlook on life and the chances that present themselves, you will be able to stop the vicious cycle of fear and negativity that may be harming yourself. Meditation can assist in increasing happiness, while also erasing the layers of dread and anxiety that have accumulated inside your brain. Starting off, having a positive mental attitude makes it simple to create anything you desire, be it success, better friends, excellent health, or affection. 

move your body!

Although going to the gym might appear time-consuming, it frequently improves the beginning or end of your day. Exercise can stimulate one’s blood flow and increase oxygen levels in the body. Aiming to make your body healthier helps reduce stress levels just before exams, even if it can sometimes be difficult to get up. I started going to the gym practically every day, sometimes even before I left for school. One of the most crucial things you can do for your health is exercise regularly. Physical activity may strengthen your bones and muscles, help you maintain a healthy weight, increase your ability to carry out daily tasks, and improve your cognitive health. Pushing oneself at the gym or even doing simple workouts at home may help someone develop physically and intellectually. Trying things like pushups, situps, and running can all contribute to this. After a difficult day, a great run may provide a change of scenery that is sometimes necessary to ending the day in a less stressful way.

Pick up a good book!

Reading has the power to improve one’s disposition. I genuinely enjoy reading a good book to relax and decompress. It is an amazing habit that helps me in a variety of ways. It doesn’t even have to be academic! Rather, engaging in something one likes might seek to advance critical thinking as well as specialised knowledge. This is such a good habit to adopt to train the brain and boost one’s creative capacity. It also has the potential to help people decompress and reduce stress. Before the holidays, school and everyday life can become very challenging, but expanding your vocabulary while unwinding can serve to enhance your writing and  support more steady mental development. 

stay hydrated!

Being properly hydrated is extremely important, yet being busy or overly exhausted can sometimes make people neglect their basic needs. Staying properly hydrated increases energy and reduces fatigue. Drinking water will help you think more clearly, concentrate more effectively, and become more alert when focusing on brain activity. As a result, your health, memory, and ability to concentrate can improve drastically. There are several behaviours you may start today and sustain throughout your life.  However, when the weather starts to grow colder and school becomes stressful, regularity becomes difficult to follow. Water removes toxins from the body, delivers nutrients to the cells, and aids in controlling pH balance and body temperature. Learning about skin hydration and developing a more effective skin care can help you feel good about yourself and boost your self-esteem. When a person is confident in themselves, they are more likely to incorporate this goodness into their daily lives. 

use a calendar!

Unless you know your schedule by heart,I highly recommend using an agenda or calendar, EVEN IF you forget to write in it everyday. Successful time management may increase your productivity and organisation. The events, appointments, and meetings in your calendar can be divided into categories, or you may honestly organise it in a way that suits your comprehension. I have countless activities and extracurriculars to balance in my life, especially since I’m a full-time student. At times, it can get quite chaotic. Implementing organisation may help one establish a better routine in their life, particularly before the holidays when there might be a lot going on. But having a calendar can also make it easier to manage a student’s schedule and remember significant dates. 

learn to cook!

The ability to cook is a valuable life skill and a healthy habit. Rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty in a local cooking class or even in a live online cooking class is the best way to learn how to cook. Cooking lessons provide something for everyone, from teaching you how to use a knife, or by simply replicating your favourite takeaway. However, if you’re like me and have no idea what you’re doing, it might be wise to start small with something like macaroni and cheese or an easy pasta recipe to follow. Additionally, preparing fresh meals will provide the nutrition your diet needs and improve your short and long term energy and health. You will develop the necessary planning and preparation skills to complete a task successfully and positively impact the well-being of your friends and family.

It’s crucial to understand that, like an attraction, it is up to you to control what negative and positive things start to emerge from your life, especially if you want to successfully alter your attitude. The more you think positively, the more manifestation happens, and higher power begins to return to you and those around you. I encourage you all to abide by the saying, “You get back what you put out into the universe in the form of karma’. That said, as a person, everyone should strive to do better in their life and create forms of healthy habits. It is never too late to start!

My name is Lydia! I am university student studying Political science hoping to gain more insight and further a career in law. I currently play soccer and represent Toronto Fc unified roster team as well as partnering with Special Olympics Canada. I love reading, and my program particularly interests me from a writing perspective since I want to use this opportunity to obtain more experience. I intend to apply what I learn, along with the friendships and connections I make, to my future studies and other aspects of my life.