9 Throwback Songs That Will Make You Feel Like You’re Living In A 2000s Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Have you ever felt the biggest rush of nostalgia when watching films like John Tucker Must Die, Freaky Friday, Legally Blonde, 13 Going on 30, etc.?

If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to live in that era, look no further, because these 15 songs will make you feel like the main character in a 2000 movie.

1. “About You Now” By Sugababes

Imagine you’re out in the town with your girlfriends and stumble across a vintage costume shop. Cue the ultimate fashion montage between you and your friends. You’re laughing and enjoying the time of your life, and don’t want the day to end.

This is exactly what happens in the film Wild Child, and why it’s one of my favourite songs to listen to when I’m feeling nostalgic!

1. “Like Whoa” By Aly & AJ

Aly and AJ were the Disney IT girls, and their Insomniatic album brought us the smash “Potential Breakup Song,” so it’s only right that I included another of their songs on this list.

The chorus of their song never fails to transport me to that era. 

1. “Perfect Day” By Hoku

Do I need to say more than this song played during the intro to the most iconic 2000 chick flick of all time: Legally Blonde?

1. “Dirty Little Secret” By All American Rejects

If you’ve ever tried to binge watch every 2000 movie you can find, you’ll understand how popular this song is.

When you listen to this song, you can’t help but feel transported back in time.

1. “Kiss Me” By The Sixpence None The Richer

It was a must to include this song to the list. After all, it was included in She’s All That, one of the most popular old rom-com films.

1. “Jump To The Rhythm” By Jordan Pruitt

The perfect song for a sunny day out in the year 2000.

1. “Girlfriend” by Avril Lavigne

It’s Avril Lavigne, the owner of the 2000 pop genre, do I have to say anything else?

1. “That’s What Girls Do” By No Secrets

Imagine you’re enjoying the ultimate sleepover with your best pals, complete with scavenger hunts and having a blast. 

That’s exactly how this song feels, and I’m not saying that just because it was used in the 2004 chick flick, Sleepover.

1. “Say It Right” By Nelly Furtado

Nelly Furtado’s 2006 album was filled with hit after hit. One of the album’s most memorable songs is “Say It Right.”

From the first verse to the chorus, this whole song screams 2000s.

Halima Osman

York U '25

Halima Osman is currently in her third year as an English major at York University. Since late 2022, she’s been a member of the Her Campus York University chapter. Within this diverse community, she’s been contributing as a part-time writer, crafting one article per month. She usually focuses her articles on entertainment and cultural topics, offering a unique perspective on these topics. Beyond her involvement with Her Campus, she’s taken on the role of a Wattpad Ambassador. As a now full content moderator, she dedicates her time to ensure the platform remains a clean, safe and inclusive space for writers and readers alike. This role not only aligns with her passion for literature but also allows her to contribute actively to an online writing community. During her free moments, she loves immersing herself in the world of films and TV shows, often sharing her thoughts and opinions on Twitter. She finds herself often sucked into a good romance novel, reveling and finding comfort in these stories. Through her diverse interests, from writing and moderating to consuming media and books, she’s consistently cultivating her passion for storytelling in all its forms.