5 Toxins to Remove from Your Life for Better Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Let’s face it, chemicals are everywhere. Even if you just walk outside and take a breath, you are inhaling so many chemicals. In modern society, we can’t really do anything without being bombarded by toxins 24/7.

This article will help you reconsider the things that you welcome into your life so you can have a full picture on what you’re consuming.

Here are five toxins to remove from your life for better health, and easy alternatives!

Deodorant

There are plenty of chemicals hiding in everyday items, such as your deodorant. Just read this article about the 7 Toxins Lurking in Your Deodorant. These chemicals also could contribute to breast cancer.

An alternative to regular deodorant is all-natural deodorant, which you can find almost anywhere. Or you can make your own! Aloe Vera is a good substitute or just baking soda and water.

Source: Media Photos

Shampoo/Conditioner

Much like deodorant, the toxic chemicals in shampoos and conditioners have been linked to cancer. These chemicals have also been linked to endocrine disruption which can cause anxiety and depression. Read this article to learn more.

There are a lot of places to purchase all-natural shampoo and conditioner (ie. Walmart, Winners). So you don’t need to go out of your way for new products.

Source: Live Love Fruit

Tap Water

There are so many unnecessary chemicals being dumped into our water all the time. This article goes in depth as to what can be found in our tap water.

To combat this, buy a Brita filter to reduce the amount of chemicals you are ingesting.

Source: Berkey Water Filter

Toothpaste

One common ingredient found in all of the above mentioned products is fluoride, and obviously toothpaste is particularly well-known for using this chemical.

An article by Mercola discusses the dangers of fluoride: fluoride is a toxic chemical that accumulates in your tissues over time, wreaks havoc with enzymes, and produces a number of serious adverse health effects, including neurological and endocrine dysfunction.”

Reading your labels is important to stay informed! Purchase an all-natural toothpaste so you don’t have to worry about added chemicals!

Source: Berkey Water Filter

Dryer Sheets

Certain chemicals in dryer sheets like benzyl acetate are linked to pancreatic cancer, along with upper respiratory and central nervous system disorders. Other chemicals in dryer sheets like limonene and chloroform are both well known carcinogens. Yikes!

If you are wondering what to use instead of dryer sheets, this article by Dr. Axe goes over alternative ways to get the same results as dryer sheets.

Source: Media Images

I know that trying to change your lifestyle can be tricky, but just making a few small changes over time will be really beneficial in the long run. Leading a more conscientious lifestyle and taking more control over what you consume is something that everyone should partake in.

A perpetually lost writer who is just trying to make sense of it all. Never ask me for directions. 
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.